Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon NEF support  (Read 6249 times)

Zephrant

• Coppermine newbie
Nikon NEF support
« on: October 15, 2006, 08:57:09 am »

I would really like to be able to upload Nikon raw format (NEF) files, see the previews, view the EXIF data, and then select which size of .jpg to download. Dave Coffin has a program that will decode almost all of the raw camera formats, and convert them to .jpg files (as well as extract EXIF data).

Being able to call dcraw to generate the thumbnails and intermediate photos (as well as resized jpgs) would be make this a tool a professional photographer could use to post photos to have clients download/print locally.

Or (next request) to one-click tie in to photo printing services.

My goal is to post photos online where my family can view and print them (basically duplicating some of the commercial sites out there), but all on my own servers and under my own control.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 03:11:03 pm by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Nikon NEF support
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 03:10:50 pm »

Raw data is not suitable for use on the www because of the file sile. I think you're mixing up things: coppermine is not a desktop app, but a web gallery. All camera vendors have their own flavor of raw data, so it would be a pain to come up with a solution that works for all camera brands and models. Additionally, coppermine relies on the use of image libraries to handle images. What you request will definitely not go into the core. Marking thread accordingly.

Zephrant

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 09:09:07 pm »

Thanks for the reply-  I'd point out that the dcraw program (open source) handles most all raw camera formats already, so no new work is needed there.

I'm simply looking to use CPG in a slightly different way-  Remote storage of my master NEF files on my hosted server, as well as automatically generating appropriately sized .jpg files for web users.  I have a desktop app that does this, but obviously remote users don't have access to it.  Individually generating multiple sizes of .jpg files and uploading them to CPG would be too much effort for the thousands of pictures I take.

File sizes is not an issue- the master raw files would not be available to anyone but the owner, just the .jpg files of the appropriate size (generated on the fly perhaps).

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 12:46:28 am »

I'm planning to add support for image processing plugins that will allow this sort of thing in the future, but nothing definite yet.

Zephrant

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 06:46:17 am »

Should you be interested, my wish list would be:
- Accepts raw image files, and translates them to the appropriate full-size, thumbnail and intermediate .jpgs, but keeps track of all of them together.
- Provides a few click-boxes to allow one or two more intermediate sizes to be made available to the user, at their choice.

It would be important to keep the EXIF data if possible.

For example, I take photos at about 3000x2000 pixels, but would like to have 800 wide and 1024 wide images available for others to download at a click, while I would be able to retreive the raw files as desired as well.

No problem at all if this is not where you want to take CPG.  That's just my wish-list. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.