Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove photo from an album but not delete from database.  (Read 3952 times)

cgc0202

• Coppermine frequent poster
Remove photo from an album but not delete from database.
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:49:26 pm »

Hello,

OK, this is useful only (or I should say mostly) for multiple photogalleries*** sharing a common database (a directory of the photos) within a domain or subdomain that also contains the CPG software, as presented here:

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=32316.0

Here is what happens now.  If you have one photogallery, you may remove an image from an album by moving to another album (or a hidden album) plus removing the tag that refers to the original album.  Hiding a photo in a private album, is a palliative and not a very good solution.

Here is a different scenario (involving multiple CPG photogalleries, not categories nor albums):

PhotoGallery A: Recent Additions (only)
as the name states, new images are included here, while older images if selected will be archived, in the photogalleries below.

PhotoGalleries B ->n (where n is any number)
the selected images coming from PhotoGallery A are archived further in these galleries, and maybe in more than one of the galleries.  They may also be moved around among the galleries, at anytime.

The above setup is the simplest, there might be multiple galleries where the photos are transient before they are moved elsewhere.  As presented, it is best if the images are kept outside of the individual photogalleries but kept in an integrated directory  for photos within the same domain or subdomain, so that they can be shared by all the photogalleries, as outlined above. [The use of integrated photodirectory works, so that is not an issue here.]

Here is the catch -- hiding the images into  invisible albums will not be a good strtegy.  The best solution is  to be able to remove (delete) a photo in one album, with any of the text in the database and images deleted in the master common directory of pics.

Paver stated that it is a project he is interested with, but he is also busy with other projects, so I am not sure if he has done anything on it.

I do not know how much work this would entail.  It is intended primarily for non-profit projects that I wish to use the PhotoGallery for -- for educational as well as general information awareness in the Arts, Public Health (such as HIV-AIDS, tuberculosis, etc.), Ecosystems, "One World" projects to provide information about countries of the world, based mainly from perspectives of the peoples in each country, rather than  from tourists, mass media or so-called "Western experts" who really know nothing about countries of the world, and even if they do will not be able to capture the heart and soul of  peoples of the world. And more.

Thanks.

CGC

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:38:56 pm by GauGau »

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
Re: Remove photo from an album but not delete from database.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 09:26:48 pm »

I understand what you want to do and why, but I guess I don't understand how you want to do it.  The hack mentioned in that thread you linked could be modified to do exactly what you want, and to give you the option to delete or remove.  But is it true that you would prefer to avoid hacks?  A plugin or add-on would be the only non-hack way to do what you want with the stable branch of Coppermine (1.4.x).  The devel branch of Coppermine (1.5) might include some of your requested features at some point, but it's recommended *not* to use the devel branch for live/production sites since it is a branch in development and can have bugs in it as it is developed.

You have mentioned that you are using the Stramm modpack, so maybe you want such a mod-pack for your requested features instead of plugins.  On one thread, you mentioned speed, and some plugins may be slower than mods since plugins generally add-on to the core Coppermine in operation instead of replacing those operations so speed might be affected.  That being said, many pages do not pull in large amounts of data (for that particular page), so the difference in speed is often negligible.

So, to answer the "how" question, do you want a hack (which you apply yourself to a core script), a plugin, or a mod-pack (which replaces certain core scripts)?  Each has its advantages & disadvantages.  This question applies to all the threads you have posted. 

I am starting to work through my personal list of features, and am willing to address some of yours as I do so.  If you would like to send me a private message with a summary of the features you have posted on various forums here (with links to each forum thread), I'll take a look and try a feasibility analysis.  I'll post any useful details on the public threads so others can benefit (and maybe "solve" some of those threads).

By the way, for the "Freelancer" board, you are supposed to read the sticky thread at the top of the board and follow the rules when posting here.  If you are truly soliciting a freelancer, you need to mention a budget and time frame.  If you would prefer to request support, we can merge this post with your previous existing thread on this subject.  I am willing to discuss details with you and try to help you determine which features would require extra work, so you can decide which features might require "paid help".

cgc0202

• Coppermine frequent poster
Re: Remove photo from an album but not delete from database.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 08:10:08 pm »

Thanks Paver,

I did not expect that someone will respond so fast.*smiles*  It is good because I have just started the site where this will be applied.  Based from the additional information you provided, as well as my decision to buy a dedicated website for its first application, I have some flexibility in timetable when this feature is needed.

I understand what you want to do and why, but I guess I don't understand how you want to do it.  The hack mentioned in that thread you linked could be modified to do exactly what you want, and to give you the option to delete or remove.  But is it true that you would prefer to avoid hacks?  A plugin or add-on would be the only non-hack way to do what you want with the stable branch of Coppermine (1.4.x). 

Based from the additional information you provided, I have more leg room to wait.  Here is the situation.  The first application of this modification has its own dedicated website with capacity of about 270,000 (100kb) images or 2.7 million (10kb) text files.  Most likely, about 200,000 archived images will be included and I do not expect to add more than 10-20,000 images per year, and more realistically, it will be more like 5-10,000 images this first year, starting mid November or December 2006. Thus, there is quite enough room when this feature will be needed.  In this context, if this job is too expensive, I could even do the "hide images" option, using parallel private folders -- because there is enough diskspace to hide the "invisible" images.

Practically, depending on how this new site will progress, it won't be until  March at the earliest or more likely June, 2007 before the need to do an actual "remove" from one of the "changing exhibit"  CPG websites.

The devel branch of Coppermine (1.5) might include some of your requested features at some point, but it's recommended *not* to use the devel branch for live/production sites since it is a branch in development and can have bugs in it as it is developed.

You have mentioned that you are using the Stramm modpack, so maybe you want such a mod-pack for your requested features instead of plugins.  On one thread, you mentioned speed, and some plugins may be slower than mods since plugins generally add-on to the core Coppermine in operation instead of replacing those operations so speed might be affected.  That being said, many pages do not pull in large amounts of data (for that particular page), so the difference in speed is often negligible.

So, to answer the "how" question, do you want a hack (which you apply yourself to a core script), a plugin, or a mod-pack (which replaces certain core scripts)?  Each has its advantages & disadvantages.  This question applies to all the threads you have posted. 

I have done simple hacks before, for example the ones you instructed me, as well as the hacks that is needed to be done for my site, for the CPMFetch by Vuud, as well as those suggested by Gaugau, and also those by Stramm for further modifications of the Stramm ModPac feature.  Since I have no program or scripting background, whatsoever, the key is the detailed instructions -- and everyone so far has been very kind enough to provide them.  One key problem that I forsee with the hack option is that, when  the main Coppermine software is revised to a higher version, it is the policy of Coppermine, for security reasons, not to provide info on what files are modified with the  latest upgrade.  So, if you have a solution to this, everytime an upgrade is needed, I would even consider a hack, if that is the easiest.

In regard  modpacks, right now, once I have created a master "<b>integrated Coppermine script with the Stramm modpack</b>"  I can do the installation and upgrade step within 1-2 minutes before the configuration step.  In this sense, this  option would be a lot easier for me.  However, as you stated, this option has its drawback. Stramm had to create a new modpack everytime an upgrade of the Coppermine is required.

If I remember correctly, a plugin is independent of a version.  In this sense, it would be the best.  However, I have not used any plugin feature just yet.

In regard speed, it turned out, the problem of a page not showing entirely -- as it slowed to a halt -- might have been caused by one of the modifications we discussed, that I applied.  This was mentioned in one of the upgrades, and once I did the upgrade to solve the problem.  So, far I have not encountered the same problem since.  I still encounter some speed issue problems once in awhile, but this was sporadic rather than persistent, so the reason for that speed problem may not be related to the CPG feature, at all.

I am starting to work through my personal list of features, and am willing to address some of yours as I do so.  If you would like to send me a private message with a summary of the features you have posted on various forums here (with links to each forum thread), I'll take a look and try a feasibility analysis.  I'll post any useful details on the public threads so others can benefit (and maybe "solve" some of those threads).

Rigtht now, this feature -- the ability to "remove an image" from an album, and as discussed in a multiple photogalleries setup, essentially <b>an image removal entirely from one gallery without the actual original image and derivative images being deleted from the integrated master directory</b> as discussed in more detail in the thread:

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=32316.0

I will email you privately also, a Demo page, where the application of this feature would be useful.  However, because it is a Demo page, it only includes just about a thousand images right now, rather the anticipated hundreds of thousands in the long-run.

There are indeed quite a number of features I requested, and I will send you a private email in a day or two for a summary outline. But, those other features should be resolved separately, or are not pressing as the one discussed here, since I found some workable solutions to them.  And, hopefully they would be address in the v1.5.

By the way, for the "Freelancer" board, you are supposed to read the sticky thread at the top of the board and follow the rules when posting here.  If you are truly soliciting a freelancer, you need to mention a budget and time frame.  If you would prefer to request support, we can merge this post with your previous existing thread on this subject.  I am willing to discuss details with you and try to help you determine which features would require extra work, so you can decide which features might require "paid help".

I read the sticky actually, and posted it here because of that. I also purposely included your name because in the previous thread as included above, you stated you might be working on a similar project, already However, if I did not include a timetable and a quote it was more because, just like another poster in this subforum, who also would not know how much it would cost, I would like to get an idea through an estimate.  I have very limited budget right now because I already used quite of the amount I alloted for a good high-end digital consumer camera to buy a sizable diskstorage, pay for long term domain registrations of a number of domain names, as well as the webhosting service for the new site, on top of another site that has to be paid shortly.

So, if I get a price estimate from you Paver -- of the hack, module or plugin, specifically for the feature outlined here only (not all my requested feature to modify CPG to my needs, as that is quite a lot) -- I can then indicate if I can afford which of the aforementioned option, I can afford, or perhaps arrange to make an installment payment plan you, for the best possible option, if it is beyond my means to pay in one go.

The timetable, I can be quite more flexible, as I outlined in the first part

I have committed myself to using CPG, on the long-term  already, because I like the CPMFetch of Vuud, as well as the Stramm Mod.

Thanks again, Paver.

CGC
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.