Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EXIF information: picture rotation  (Read 13347 times)

ylz

• Coppermine newbie
EXIF information: picture rotation
« on: February 04, 2004, 09:18:12 pm »

Hello all!

My digital camera is using some EXIF information to mark any picture rotated or not (portrait or landscape).

Is it possible, that Coppermine can display EXIF rotated pictures correctly in the next releases?

Thank you for your good work!!
 - Dan

PS: I'm trying to set-up a photo gallery to publish my picture for internal and external uses and would like to take the pictures right of the camera. Coppermines "batch add pictures" function seems to be unique for this! This is a great feature!  :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 05:23:33 pm by donnoman »

pnear

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
    • http://www.thenears.com
Re: EXIF information: picture rotation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 04:00:10 pm »

I wanted to make this same request, but found this one via search.  I officially second this motion.

My PC-based photo management and viewers all support the EXIF orientation, and when up upload to coppermine I'm usually quite surprised to see that some of my images are rotated 90 degrees one way or the other.  Completely understandable, since I know of no good way to rotate images when output to the browser for display.  Instead, I would assume that some sort of rotate on import would be required (and quite doable).

Process might go something like this:
1. Upload the picture to CPG
2. Read EXIF information for orientation, perform that transformation on the image server-side
3. Create intermediate and thumbnail images based on the transformed image

The only unknown here is what to do with the EXIF tag once you've rotated.  Theoretically, if you leave the orientation flag the way it was then the next person who views it with an EXIF orientation compatible viewer will see the image rotated incorrectly (since it will now be trying to rotate an image that has already been transformed).  Does it make sense to change the EXIF orientation tag to zero degrees after the transformation is made or is that considered bad form to overwrite information from the camera?

Pete

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 05:10:18 pm »

I would think you would want to rewrite the exif orientation if the image is re-written in the final orientation.

Obviously the preferred method would be to honor the orientation in exif, but it will come at a potentially severe performance penalty.

Let me do some research on exif, gd, and in coppermine's code and see what I think we could accomplish.

cunparis

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:47:58 pm »

I would think you would want to rewrite the exif orientation if the image is re-written in the final orientation.

Obviously the preferred method would be to honor the orientation in exif, but it will come at a potentially severe performance penalty.

Let me do some research on exif, gd, and in coppermine's code and see what I think we could accomplish.

I just ran into this problem tonight.. I'm wondering if I have to rotate all my images or if Coppermine can do it for me?

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:16:53 am »

Just curious... does your digital camera not come with software that would rotate the files for you?

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 04:38:28 am »

I'm knee deep in other projects and spread too thin to look at this anytime soon. Other interested parties are encouraged to put thier heads together and hack together a solution.

where there is a will there is a way.

cunparis

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 08:14:04 am »

Just curious... does your digital camera not come with software that would rotate the files for you?

I'm going to take a look.  I use Acdsee mostly, so if it has a batch rotate then I can use it.  Or if another software exists.  Surely such a thing exists.  Since I'll be resizing for the web I might as well rotate at the same time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.