Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme contribution "WALLS"  (Read 9856 times)

dawirick

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
    • Wirick Family News
Theme contribution "WALLS"
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:21:45 pm »

I've finally finished my next theme!

It was difficult making it retroactively cross browser compatible (see the README and you'll understand).

See it in action...

Enjoy! ;D

Unfortunately, due to a system crash my server had to be rebuilt. :'(
As a result the demo is no longer available on my site.

However, it is available in the DEMO area of coppermine-gallery.net

*****  MORE IMAGES *****

Unfortunately, due to upload restrictions, this file only includes three (3). :-\
See README on how to add more.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:01:35 pm by dawirick »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Theme contribution "WALLS"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:51:13 am »

Thanks for your contribution. I moved your posting to theme-contributions board and renamed the thread (please use meaningfull subjects in the future).

Demo - Download

As you can see, the theme doesn't blend nicely into our demo - this may happen for users who download the theme as well. To circumvent this issue I suggest not assigning CSS properties to the body, but to a container that wraps your actual HTML in template.html - this way, there will be no interfering with our custom header. I changed some minor things in your theme before re-packaging it (e.g. moving the {CUSTOM_HEADER}-token out of your tables to the very top of the page), please review the changes by downloading a copy from our downloads section at sourceforge.net (see download link above). Another suggestion would be to review the position of the banner image - it interferes with our content as well. A matter of taste is the change of formatting when you hover over a link: I don't like the font attributes to change, as the text of the link then jumps under the mouse pointer. But, as suggested: that's a matter of taste.

This being said: thanks again for your contribution. Don't get put down if I critisize your work - it isn't meant as nagging, but constructive critism to improve the theme. Keep on contributing please :D.

Cheers

Joachim

dawirick

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
    • Wirick Family News
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:23:19 pm »

Don't get put down if I critisize your work - it isn't meant as nagging, but constructive critism to improve the theme.

Joachim:

As I am new to creating themes, my view is there are NO negative critiques.  It is all meant to be helpful.

I learned a lot with my first theme, and continue to learn from this one.

Your right.  The demo looks like crap!

The problem being exhibited on the demo page is due to the {CUSTOM_HEADER} being moved.
The location inside the tables placed it inside the <div class="contain"> tag. 

The <div class="contain"> tag has attributes {position: absolute; padding-top: 0px; padding-left: 0px;}.  This places it in the absolute top left corner of the page. 

When you placed the {CUSTOM_HEADER} tag in front of the <div class="contain"> tag, this subjected the {CUTSOM_HEADER} tag to being overlapped by the 'CONTAINER' table.

If you in fact feel it necessary to move the {CUSTOM_HEADER} outside the 'CONTAINER' table, then it still needs to placed within the <div class="contain"> tag.

If there is some reason WHY you moved it outside the table, please explain.  If there is some coding reason, let me know.
If it needs to be outside the table then place it inside the <div class="contain"> tag.
If there is no reason that it can't be inside the table, please return it there.

Please correct/explain this ASAP.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:31:07 pm by dawirick »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:34:14 pm »

I placed the {CUSTOM_HEADER}-token outside of your containers to avoid any formatting that is suppossed to be applied to your gallery to have an impact on the custom header. I coould easily come up with some a container around the custom header that displays it just fine on our demo, but not for all purposes.

dawirick

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
    • Wirick Family News
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 06:12:31 pm »

I placed the {CUSTOM_HEADER}-token outside of your containers to avoid any formatting that is suppossed to be applied to your gallery to have an impact on the custom header.

There is no formating applied to the <div class="contain"> tag other than positioning everything from the upper left hand corner over 100% of the available screen area.  Other than that the only other formatting that might be applied is the same formatting that would be applied from any other theme listed...<body>.  The <tables> themselves have no CSS formatting applied.  The only cell which does is the {GALLERY} cell (which I created custom CSS fromatting for).  Please review the CSS.

Code: [Select]
<body>
<div class="contain">
  <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5" id="CONTAINER">
    <tr>
      <td> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5" id="HEADER">
          <tr align="center">
            <td colspan="2">{CUSTOM_HEADER}</td>
          </tr>

As you can see, the ONLY formatting that would apply to the {CUSTOM_HEADER} is

body {
        font-family : "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
        font-size: 12px;
        background : url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) repeat;
        color : #000000;
}

...and...

.contain {
position: absolute;
left: 0px;
top: 0px;
height: 100%;
width: 100%;
}

* {
        behavior: url(themes/walls/iepngfix.htc);
}

If you read the README you would discover that the iepngfix.htc affect IE5.5/6 ONLY and ONLY *.png images and is W3C compliant.

I do not understand what formatting you think is going to affect the {CUSTOM_HEADER} on your demo page.

I'd like to get this straightened out so that the demo looks correct.  Otherwise people are gonna look at it and wonder why it was ever approved as a theme.

dawirick

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
    • Wirick Family News
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:12:39 pm »

Okay GauGau:

I had an epiphany over the weekend...

If someone has a website host who places a banner at the top of the page (not beyond the realm of possability) then the theme would place iteself on top of this banner (in the same fashion as the demo).

Therefore I have removed the <div class="contain"> tag from the theme.

Please replace the current version with the attached version (which places the {CUSTOM_HEADER} outside the table).

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:46:29 pm by dawirick »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 08:24:48 am »

That's why I suggested that the theme should not interfere with the custom header and footer no matter what. Applies to the header in our demo as well as a custom banner, Google ads or whatever users do with the custom header feature.

dawirick

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
    • Wirick Family News
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 05:10:16 pm »

GauGau:

So is there some reason you have NOT replaced the demo page version with the updated version?????

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:48:10 am »

Yes: basically because you failed to build your modified version on the one I put up for download. I had added a link to the readme file, removed some garbage header data etc. and I'm reluctant do do this all over (call me lazy). Don't get me wrong: I'm all ears for contributions, but the cause extra work for me. Therefore, I'm reluctant to look into them in rapid succession, having to come up with fixes twice. Please use the copy I created, use your favorite Diff viewer (winmerge recommended) and add you changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.