Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can user select a Group during registration ?  (Read 4548 times)

nims

• Coppermine newbie
Can user select a Group during registration ?
« on: September 02, 2006, 09:11:32 am »

Hi, I just wanted to know if there is any possibility to let the user select the Group he wants to become a member of during registration process ?

Also can we add more fields to the user registration form or can we have different fields for different Group's registration ? Like suppose we have Male Models, Female Models and Photographers Groups. Can the user select which group he wants to become a member of and fill the form according to the group selected  ?

Is there any mod for this or if someone can tell which files to alter ( if its safe ) to accomplish this ?

regrds Maky.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:45:01 pm by GauGau »

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
Re: Can user select a Group during registration ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 09:20:14 am »

afaik no mod available as yet. Groups are something which coppermine deals with internally. Normal users don't even know whether grouping exists. By default all new members who register themselves becomes the member of "Registered Group".
Chief Geek at Ranium Systems

nims

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 10:04:08 am »

Hi Abbas. Thanks for the reply. Can u help me overcome this problem. OK I can push them to relevent groups thru admin but how do I make users create album in specific categories depending on the Group they are member of ? Like I need members of models group shud  create their albums in models category that I have already created and members of Photograpgers group shud be able to create their albums only in Photographers category that I have already created.

regrds Maky
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 03:05:13 pm by nims »

ianc

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 11:38:18 am »

Might it be possible to install Coppermine 3 times. Once for each Group ?

nims

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 12:46:42 pm »

I guess that wud not be a wise option.

ianc

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:05:33 pm »

Not necessarily, I run a site that has two installations of Imagefolio running. One for password protected access and one for public access. They both share the same user database.

If when CPG is installed - couldn't it be installed into 3 different directories sharing the same database?

E.G.
/photographers
/malemodels
/femalemodels

The downside is that you have 3 admin centres.
The upside is that you can configure for specific groups.

Only a suggestion...

nims

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 05:54:23 am »

I appreciate your reply and it might be possible but as I earlier said that doesnt seem to be a wise option. It surely can be an option but lets find a professional approach to it.
Maky

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 01:10:13 pm »

Upload permissions on album=>group basis is not there in cpg and afaik no mod/hack is available. Won't be that easy to accomplish coding wise.

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:09:07 am »

Ok, here is the mod to accomplish what you want...

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=35990.0

GeeGee

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 12:20:29 pm »

Is it the Group or Category a user must select ?

I guess in this case a user must be able to select a particular category so that the pics are grouped together ?

What do u say abbas ?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 12:44:49 pm »

Groups membership and subsequent permissions based on group membership is a security feature. It would defeat the whole point of maintaining groups if a users was allowed to choose what group he/she wants to be member of; this is something that must be left to the admin. As a result, the initial question on this thread is just invalid. Although I can see that some might consider such a feature usefull in certain setups, it's a large risk to implement such a hack. Therefor (and because non of the devs could see the need for such a hack), a mod as requested in the original posting does not exist.
The thread Abbase refered to is named "Upload permission in albums on group basis" does something slightly different: it allows you to assign certain groups the permission to upload to specific albums. The mod does not give users the choice to pick a group.
However, the mod Abbas Ali has posted is what it is: a modification/hack that comes with limited support (if at all). Mods only get supported on the threads that deal with them. You're no suppossed to ask questions on the mod here, that's why I'm locking this confused thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.