Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ecard on Yahoo  (Read 13471 times)

Okie

• Coppermine newbie
  • "The Wind Is What It Is."
    • Red Earth Reflections
ecard on Yahoo
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:59:30 pm »

Hi, I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting the ecard functioning properly using Yahoo Small Business Webhosting.  I'm using cpg 1.4.8.  I've read all the posts and made numerous attempts to get it working.  The preview appears to be working properly.  The send appears to be working properly, even reporting that the email has been sent.  However, it has not been sent.  The /tmp/mailError.log file returns a "Result: 9, From address not in member domain.  Message not sent".
I've read the "cpg" documentation and also Yahoo's Help files.  I've called their tech support for assistance (that was not worthwhile).  I sent an email to their PHP tech staff and below is their response.

"When you send email with a PHP script, you will need to make sure that the "From:" address in your email header is set to an address within your domain name ... Please note that the "From" address mentioned in you PHP script is not teh email address where you want the reply should be sent.  But, it is the email address where the form will be sent.
This is the reason, it is mentioned in our help pages that the "From" address in your script should be your domain name email address with a mailbox so that the filled form should reach to the domain name email address that you will specify.
So, I suggest you to please specify the "From" email address in your PHP script to one of your domain name email address with a mailbox.  Currently, your form will not work as it is taking the "From" address as the email address that the visitor will enter while filling the form."

This explanation seems to be in perfect agreement with the documentation on "cpg" and the very many posts on this forum, with one exception.  I don't get the sense or the direction from the "cpg" docs, or the forum posts, that it is necessary to edit the PHP script.  It is my understanding that if the information is entered correctly in the "cpg" Configuration the script should work properly by sending the ecard.
I am certain the email address I have entered in Configuration is a domain name email and has a mailbox.  I entered the correct smtp information, username, and password, and yet, it does not send an ecard.  If I need to edit the PHP script as Yahoo directed, which file do I need to edit?  Is the "From" email address the only edit that needs to be made?  If I shouldn't edit the PHP file, do you have any suggestions?
Thanks for your assistance.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 12:09:19 am by Nibbler »

Nibbler

Re: ecard on Yahoo
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:07:04 pm »

The 'From' address is normally the one you specify in config. With ecards however, the address the user enters into the ecard form is used as the sender address instead. Test send an ecard with your yahoo account as the from address and see if that works. If so we  can modify the script to force it to always use the admin email address.

include/mailer.inc.php, find

Code: [Select]
if ($sender_email == '') { $sender_email = $CONFIG['gallery_admin_email']; }
change to

$sender_email = $CONFIG['gallery_admin_email'];

Nibbler

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:15:36 pm »

Okie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Red Earth Reflections
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:54:08 am »

Hi Nibbler!  Thanks for taking the time to assist.  I followed your instructions "Test send an ecard with your yahoo account as the from address and see if that works"; but it didn't work.  I went ahead and edited the include/mailer.inc.php file as intstructed, $sender_email = $CONFIG['gallery_admin_email'];, but it didn't work, either.  What I got was a totally blank, white screen.  I read the post to which you referred me and checked my smtp settings again.  They are entered in Configuration correctly and the email entered is a domain email with a mailbox.  In fact, it is the original email account and is the default account with default administrator privileges.  It still didn't work.  I then edited the include/mailer.php file again according to these intructions:  $mail->From = "name@domain.tld";.  It still didn't work.
What do you think?  I'll do my best at following any instructions.
Thanks!

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 02:21:09 am »

If you got a blank screen then you probably made a typo while editing the file. Check your alterations are valid php syntax.

If you are happy to PM me admin and FTP access to your gallery I can take a look at things in the morning.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 08:03:44 am »

Make sure that you're using a plain text editor (notepad.exe is fine). You mustn't use a WYSIWYG editor. Especially MS Frontpage is notorious for "beautifying" code although it isn't suppossed to, resulting in broken files.

Okie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Red Earth Reflections
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 10:39:34 pm »

Hi GauGau
Make sure that you're using a plain text editor (notepad.exe is fine). You mustn't use a WYSIWYG editor. Especially MS Frontpage is notorious for "beautifying" code although it isn't suppossed to, resulting in broken files.

I edited the file on the website using the editing function provided by the webhost, Yahoo Small Business Webhosting.  It's a text editor and not WYSIWYG.  Thanks for your assistance.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:52:10 am »

Web-driven editors have flaws as well. Get a fresh copy, download it to your local PC using your FTP app, edit it using notepad, then re-upload it using your FTP app. Web-driven editors are just a workaround.

Okie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Red Earth Reflections
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 12:02:49 am »

Well, a lot has happened since the last post.  I believe eCard and email are now functioning properly.  I want to share what I did and what I have learned so that someone else who uses Yahoo! Web Hosting might avoid a similar experience.
I began with Gau Gau's suggestion:

Web-driven editors have flaws as well. Get a fresh copy, download it to your local PC using your FTP app, edit it using notepad, then re-upload it using your FTP app. Web-driven editors are just a workaround.

After editing in notepad, a fresh mailer.inc.php file I had on my harddrive and uploading to the web site, I discovered that the file on the web site had not been overwritten.  I tracked this issue to the fact that my ftp program's settings were not allowing the files with the same name to be overwritten.  I was not being asked if I wanted to overwrite, or not.  Files of the samd name were being skipped.  (Suddenly some past mysteries were solved.)  Anyway, for this project, I changed the settings to overwrite files with the same name.  In the process of running back and forth, I learned of the new 1.4.9 Release, and figured I may as well have the latest, greatest.  I made the required backups and deleted all the 1.4.8 files from the web site.  I deleted all the files so I would be sure, in my own mind, that everything was fresh.  I uploaded 1.4.9, ran the Update PHP and the Version Check utilities.  All went well.

I made absolutely sure the email address I entered on the Configuraton/General settngs screen was a valid email address operating from my domain.  This was done using Yahoo! Web Hosting's "Email Management/Manage Email Addresses" utility.  I created a new email address with its own mailbox.  I left everything blank on the Configuration/Email settings screen.  I then sent an ecard to myself at work.  Of course I couldn't check it until the next day.  I tried sending an ecard to my home computer which is a different email address on a different domain but I never received it.  Afterward, I sent an email to Yahoo! Web Hosting's PHP unit; it's the only way to communicate with them.  I explained my issues and what I wanted to achieve in detail.  I wanted to find out what they had to say.
When I arrived at work the following day, I checked my email and was disappointed I had not received an email.  After work I edited the /include/mailer.inc.php file on my harddrive, according to Nibbler's instructions and uploaded to the web site.

change to

Again, I sent emails to myself at work.
The next day I checked my email and was delighted to see I had received an ecard!  ;D  I then went to my website (shh!  Don't tell anyone!  ;)) and then to the cpg gallery and sent an ecard to my wife.  She received it.  I sent cards to my personal email addresses, as well.  When I went home for lunch (pretty lucky, huh?) I was again delighted to find I had received ecards there, as well.  I also attempted to send another ecard to a personal email, on my home computer, from my home computer and again did not receive it.  I'm using AVG to scan email and Zone Alarm as a firewall.  I included this information in my email to Yahoo PHP support as a possibility one, or both could be blocking them.  However, I'm unable to find anything within either program that would indicate they are being blocked.  I get enough "junk" everyday I can't figure out why these ecards would be blocked entirely.  Anyway, in the big picture me being able to send ecards to myself is a non-issue.  I'm not that lonely!   :D

THANKS for all your help!

I'm including the response I received from Yahoo! Web Hosting PHP support.  It's interesting and perhaps will be of assistance to others.
Yahoo! Web Hosting PHP Support reply below:
"Please note that emails sent through Coppermine Gallery has
nothing to do with the firewall, router or any anti-virus installed on
your system.

If you have configured Coppermine Gallery to send emails through the
SMTP server, then please note that currently you will not be able to
send an email using SMTP server through PHP scripts. The PHP fsockopen()
function is used to send an email, which is currently disabled on the
server.

You can use the PHP mail function to send out emails. Please be sure to
configure the administrator email address as one of your domain email
address with a mailbox. This is because, the "From" address used in your
script must be one of your own domain email address. If the "From" field
is omitted, your default email address will be used.

You can use the PHP mail() function to send emails using any PHP script.
But make sure that the "From" address used in your PHP script must be
one of your own domain email address with a mailbox. If the "From" field
is omitted, your default email address will be used."

skidpics

• Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:46:44 am »

The 'From' address is normally the one you specify in config. With ecards however, the address the user enters into the ecard form is used as the sender address instead. Test send an ecard with your yahoo account as the from address and see if that works. If so we  can modify the script to force it to always use the admin email address.

change to

Been having the same issue with yahoo - they are limited in how they handle emails..
How do I add a 'replyto' in this case compared to the post at http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=27875.msg129029#msg129029

I tried that replyto version, but it seemed to have no effect..

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.