Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ERROR - The previous file could not be placed.  (Read 7653 times)

willthing

• Coppermine newbie
ERROR - The previous file could not be placed.
« on: August 26, 2006, 07:08:02 pm »

Our coppermine gallery has been working fine for months until a few days ago when we started getting this message after uploading a file:

The previous file could not be placed.

You have successfully placed all the files.

I read some posts here about it being an Imagemagik path problem, but our gallery is using the GD2 system. Any ideas what might be causing this?

willthing

• Coppermine newbie
Re: ERROR - The previous file could not be placed.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:31:42 pm »

Critical error
Impossible to move WormyPoster.jpg to albums/userpics/10001/ !

File: /home/httpd/vhosts/darrenkozelsky.com/httpdocs/photos/db_input.php - Line: 344
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:27:34 pm by willthing »

Katy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:09:49 pm »

I have the exact same problem but I get this: The file 'albums/userpics/10001/dinerdash~0.jpg' can't be inserted in the album

Error executing ImageMagick - Return value: 127

Cmd line :
convert -quality 80 -antialias -geometry 100x83 'albums/userpics/10001/dinerdash~0.jpg' 'albums/userpics/10001/thumb_dinerdash~0.jpg'

The convert program said:

File: /www/sites/1/iespana.es/m/i/missolsen-gallery/site/gallery/db_input.php - Line: 402

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 08:45:02 pm »

If you have the same problem then the inital answer would apply to you as well. However the error looks different to me and you shouldn't have posted in this thread but started your own.

Install Image Magick or switch to GD2

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 10:30:46 am »

@willthing: do exactly as Nibbler suggested and read the troubleshooting section extra-carefully. It says that you mustn't post debug_output. Instead, you're suppossed to post a link and non-admin test user account after having applied the settings mentioned. Failing to do as suggested will result in not gettings answers. Make sure that you have applied permissions on the albums folder and everything within it as suggested in the settings section of the docs.

willthing

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 03:30:49 pm »

Sure thing. I modified the original post and removed that data. Below is the rest of the requested information:

http://www.darrenkozelsky.com/photos/index.php

login: test
pass: 123

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 10:59:17 pm »

Login using the test user account doesn't work for me.

willthing

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 03:33:17 pm »

The account should now be active.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 06:51:41 pm »

I get
Critical error
Impossible to move Blaue_Berge.jpg to albums/userpics/10003/ !

File: /home/httpd/vhosts/darrenkozelsky.com/httpdocs/photos/db_input.php - Line: 344
, so apparently you need to apply the proper permissions to the albums folder as suggested in the docs (permissions section).
You're running cpg1.4.5 - it's mandatory to upgrade to the most recent stable release (currently cpg1.4.9).

willthing

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 07:12:20 pm »

Full 777 permissions are applied to that directory and have been since initial installation a few months ago. This problem began last week - would there be a permission problem somewhere else perhaps?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 07:47:55 pm »

1) Upgrade as I suggested
2) Review permissions anyway. Your webhost may have changed something. Not all setups need 777, some need 755. This is being explained in the permissions section of the docs, that's why I suggested to read it. Re-apply permissions anyway, since you can't be sure that they are 777 (don't trust the CHMOD properties your FTP app displays).

tydust

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 08:05:42 pm »

We're having the same problem, started approximately 10-14 days ago, and no changes were made prior to the error.

I have tried every fix in the FAQ and troubleshooting threads, even to the point where my host got very snippy with me for suggesting IM might need fixing.

For the record, the site is http://mazestudios.com/gallery/ and the username test has been created with password test 123, debug mode open for everyone.

The problem is only on upload, everything else works.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:19:25 pm »

The same thing applies to you, read more carefully.
http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_trouble

We're having the same problem,
How could you tell with just a generic error message? Your issue may differ. In the future, don't try to hijack threads, but start your own thread.

and the username test has been created with password test 123
Actually, the password is "test123", not "test 123". Spaces do matter!

tydust

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 08:45:51 pm »

Forget I asked a question, please.

On most forums, especially support forums, users are asked to keep similar problems in the same thread, in order to make it easier to follow and so the same question is not answered repeatedly.

Second, the space was a typo. It must be nice to be perfect. 

I'm not one to be ungrateful about people providing free support for a product, far from it.  I spend a lot of time providing free support for a different project, so I understand it's a thankless job and you get nasty comments when you can't be a miracle worker. 

However, your utter rudeness in dealing with people here in the forum is undeniable.  I have read a number of posts in searching for the answer to my problem so I could solve it without wasting anyone's time, and the one constant was that many people were berated by the support staff for not submitting their question in *just* the right format.

And that "The same thing applies to you." nonsense was ridiculous.  I DID go through all that troubleshooting, or I wouldn't be asking for help.  I tried everything. It seems single image upload works, as in jackanory's recent problem, but not multiple.  Does it occur to you that by responding to every support question with the link to the troubleshooting faq, that you just look like a jackass? That could be done with a bot and you wouldn't even have to log on.  Try that, get yourself an auto-post script that responds to every question with the FAQ.

You know what? I'm wasting my time here when I could be off helping a client.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 09:11:12 pm »

And that "The same thing applies to you." nonsense was ridiculous.  I DID go through all that troubleshooting, or I wouldn't be asking for help.  I tried everything.
No, you have not. You're suppossed to set single file uploads to "1", URI uploads to "0". Only then will you get an exact error message. Failing to do so results in a generic one. You haven't applied those settings. That's why I told you to re-read it. We can't help you if we just can see the generic error message.

Second, the space was a typo.
I was aware of that. Sorry for posting this information as advice to my fellow supporters, so they won't have to try logging in various times.

I'm not one to be ungrateful about people providing free support for a product, far from it.  I spend a lot of time providing free support for a different project, so I understand it's a thankless job and you get nasty comments when you can't be a miracle worker.
Then you probably know how annoying it is if you have to keep on repeating the same mantra over: it's mandatory that you read the upload troubleshooting and do exactly as suggested, as then (and only then) you (and supporters) will get a meaningful error message that indicates what needs to be done to fix your issues. It's the only possible way to get help, even if you have issues with another upload method.

tydust

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 09:20:02 pm »

By doing exactly as suggested, there is no error at all.  It works.  Leaving it that way would make no sense.

jackanory

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 01:08:26 pm »

Same goes for me. If i set 'fixed uploads' to '1' and 'URL uploads' to '0' there isn't an error, file upload and placement works beautifully. However when fixed uploads are set to > '1', it doesn't matter how many files you try to upload (even just the one) - it chucks out the error message, and the debug info doesn't show anything particularly useful.

Apologies for getting frustrated in my thread. This is obviously a common problem, it would be great if you could help me and tydust out, as i'm sure this thread will then be helpful to others in the future.

Thanks,
Jack.

jackanory

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 01:37:25 pm »

OoooooOOOOOoooohh sorted it!

For all those who get the same issue:

Log in as admin and use ~/[copperminefolder]/checkversion.php - i found my 'logs' folder wasn't writeable by the script. Although this doesn't affect the issue at hand it's worth doing incase you've missed anything dumb. (And yes, the docs do tell you to do this!)

Everyone keeps saying set the album folder to 777 (rwxrwxrwx). Obviously this doesn't apply on windows machines, you have to setup individual user permissions in the file security applet. There's a little static tutorial on the coppermine site somewhere that shows you how to do this. However, it does NOT correctly set the folder permissions to 777, but rather 775 which will render the upload function unuseable on 2003 servers. You need to allow your IIS user account (in my case, 'iusr_winserver2003') write permissions to the album folder.

That's all i did, and now the multiple upload works beautifully. Good luck!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 11:25:05 pm »

Thanks for coming back and sharing your solution. However, there's a section in the coppermine docs that explains setting permmissions on IIS, and a corresponding IIS permissions tutorial as well. That's why we tell users to read the docs - it's all in there already.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.