Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coppermine... without web server?  (Read 5958 times)

kitty

• Coppermine newbie
Coppermine... without web server?
« on: June 10, 2006, 03:41:39 am »

Hi there,
I know it's not a usual question but… is it possible to install and use Coppermine only as a stand alone data base… if first I would like to just run it on my computer and not yet on a paid web server? If yes... then how can I by-pass the installation on to a web server?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 07:05:08 am by GauGau »

Vargha

• Coppermine frequent poster
  • Persian Soldier
    • Rangarang
Re: Coppermine... without web server?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 03:55:41 am »

are you saying that you want to run coppermine on your computer? if yes, then you need to install a webserver for example, apache, you also need to install, mysql, php, and iImageMagick or gd library

if no

can u explain what you want to do again?  ;D
Haalaa Boro Ye Chayi Vasam Dorost Kon Ta Man Ye Fekri Be Halet Bokonam ;) Ye Hendooneye Shotoriham Biyar Bizahmat :)
Visit My Site www.Rangarang.co.nr
Check Out My Gallery
www.Rangarang.co.nr/buddies
(https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg157.imageshack.us%2Fimg157%2F838%2Frangarang4xn.jpg&hash=48b4c3087515cafe09fc6d3f7ee19dce86328d8e)

kitty

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 05:51:01 am »

Ouch! So this would be the harder way...  :o  :o

Thank you, for your answer.

Vargha

• Persian Soldier
    • Rangarang
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 06:02:49 am »

no its not hard
simply download this server
it installs it all together on your computer  ;)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wampserver/wamp5_1.6.3.exe?download
Haalaa Boro Ye Chayi Vasam Dorost Kon Ta Man Ye Fekri Be Halet Bokonam ;) Ye Hendooneye Shotoriham Biyar Bizahmat :)
Check Out My Gallery
(https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg157.imageshack.us%2Fimg157%2F838%2Frangarang4xn.jpg&hash=48b4c3087515cafe09fc6d3f7ee19dce86328d8e)

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 06:19:07 am »

Self-hosting is not something that should be taken lightly. 

If you have never run a web server before, it's is strongly recommended that you do not do so, unless you plan to keep the web server private and off the public internet.

There are other threads on this forum that discuss self-hosting.  Please search for them if you want more information.

@kitty: There are free web hosts that can run Coppermine.  Please read the threads on the "General Discussion" board.

@vargha: This is not the place to lead a person through self-hosting.  Once again, I appreciate your willingness to help, but self-hosting is a serious consideration for anyone, even experienced network administrators.

Vargha

• Persian Soldier
    • Rangarang
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 06:23:24 am »

im sorry about that   :(
Check Out My Gallery

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 06:27:20 am »

@vargha: Your answer was factually correct, and others may find it useful.  But you left out the dangers of running your own server on the public internet.  These dangers should dissuade most people from self-hosting.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 11:19:37 am »

If you only need an app to categorize your pics for your personal use, use a desktop app instead of one built for use on the internet. I suggest looking into stuff like ACDSee or similar desktop apps. Using coppermine without a webserver locally on your PC would be just like buying a car without having a road to drive on, just to look at it inside your garage; you can do so, and the car vendor certainly won't mind, but it's not the intended use for a car.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 12:32:28 pm »

Heh.  Nice analogy, Joachim.

One other note: if your intent is to test-drive Coppermine before paying for hosting or spending the time to use a free or paid host, take a look at the demo (linked at the top of this page). 

kitty

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 01:32:36 am »

Thank you again, Paver… you caught me… as I need something like that.

And yes, GauGau, your comparison was quite right… I know … but it's a little more complicated… as right now… I only intend to help my friend's online galleries without interfering with his system. Therefore, I need to see and try the complete version with all the administrative tools of Coppermine, not just the screens shoots of it. So, what I really need is more then its demo. And that's why I wanted to make an active one for me… even from scratch… where no server would be needed at this time, because it will be just my local database with its all administrative privileges.

However, of course, maybe later on, I will make my own little gallery the usually way… with a web host. But now I'm stuck. :-[

Sami

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • BMossavari
    • My Project
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 06:30:38 am »

okey , I've a test-drive and I can give you the admin power to take a look at Back_end , drop me a PM I'll give you Username and password
‍I don't answer to PM with support question
Please post your issue to related board

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 09:00:38 am »

install apache, php, mysql on your win system and then testdrive coppermine
there are zip packages around (simply extract and go) eg. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 09:38:51 am »

Better and simpler option imo: sign up with a free webhost that fulfills the minimum requirements and host your test gallery there.

kitty

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 04:21:55 am »

I just came to say Thank You to everyone, as I had made Coppermine® run using wampserver on a stand alone computer with your help… it just took some time. You guys are wonderful.  :-*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.