Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More than one gallery per domain?  (Read 11427 times)

NatalieFord

• Coppermine newbie
    • My photo gallery
More than one gallery per domain?
« on: August 19, 2006, 04:18:43 am »

I already have one gallery on my domain, e.g. www.domainname.com/photos/ , but I would like to have a second seperate gallery, e.g. www.domainname.com/artwork/ . Is this possible? How would I go about setting it up if it is?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 07:38:14 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: More than one gallery per domain?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 06:11:18 am »

Yes, it's possible. You just need to create new tables for the second gallery, but that's done by the installation script anyway. If you have one mysql database, use a different prefix for the gallery tables. If you install in a different database, it doesn't matter what prefix you use. Basically, you install just like you do the first one with the above caveat.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 06:24:07 am »

If you're going for fresh installs, don't use the outdated cpg1.3.x though, but the most recent stable (currently cpg1.4.8).

NatalieFord

• Coppermine newbie
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 07:57:02 am »

Okay I should have explained that I am not a very techy user. I get that I should upgrade my current gallery to 1.4.8. I also get that it is possible to have two galleries on my domain but I get lost at the 'how to' part, I am afraid...

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 09:37:21 am »

You have an existing gallery in some folder on your webspace (e.g. http://yourdomain.tld/gallery/). Download the coppermine package (most recent version), unzip it to your hard-drive, upload it to your webserver using your FTP application into another folder on your webserver (e.g. http://yourdomain.tld/another_gallery/). Then run the installer of your second gallery by accessing it in your browser (http://yourdomain.tld/another_gallery/install.php). On the install screen, fill in your details (coppermine admin username and password, mysql data). The only thing you have to be careful with is the coppermine table prefix that you specify on the installer screen: you have to make sure to use a different prefix for the second gallery than the one you chose for your first one. To be save, just use "gallery2_" as a table prefix for the second install.
However, before you perform all this, ask yourself why you are trying to set up a second gallery: usually, this is not necessary. There have been users in the past who asked similar questions to yours, and on further investigation it turned out that they could easily accomplish what they were up to with just one gallery and a minor modification. So my basic suggestion is that you explain in detail what you're actually trying to accomplish with the second gallery. A link to your existing gallery might help as well.

NatalieFord

• Coppermine newbie
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 04:31:07 pm »

Thanks for that.

My existing gallery is in my sig and is for my photography. I need a second one to be totally distinct with a different skin and URL and will be for scans of my artwork.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 10:20:39 pm »

It's mandatory that you upgrade, your version has serious security vulnerabilities. As you're using a theme out of the box, upgrading should be painless.
Different themes based on categories are possible with just one gallery.

NatalieFord

• Coppermine newbie
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 02:00:35 am »

As you can see, I already use more than one category within my photography gallery. I would like a totally seperate gallery for my artwork.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 07:35:55 am »

Categories can be nested. However, if you feel that you need two galleries (which will mean double administration and maintenance works, and an incoherent experience for your users), then go ahead and create you second gallery.
Your gallery still is cpg1.3.2 - please do as I suggested and upgrade; don't take this lightheartedly: it's mandatory that you upgrade asap (at least to cpg1.3.5, better still to cpg1.4.8).
Case closed.

NatalieFord

• Coppermine newbie
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 10:51:28 am »

an incoherent experience for your users

That is the whole point. A completely different set of users.

I have multiple sclerosis and wil do the upgrade when I remember and am well enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.