Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom content/filter tag system  (Read 3081 times)

Nalif

• Coppermine newbie
Custom content/filter tag system
« on: August 10, 2006, 07:26:30 am »

Would a custom filter system be a valid feature for coppermine? I've seen more than a few users request it in one way or another, and I see it being very useful to community websites who have a need to filter some user's content. For instance, some community art sites would like to allow violence in images, while some of their users may not wish to view violence in the gallery. The same applies for nudity, controversial images, etc etc. The alternative is to give private albums and restrict the viewers, but viewers must be given permission manually, and for large community sites ( the target of this feature ) this is a very difficult task.

If this task is considered valid, here's what I believe should be supported:

No tags should be enabled by default. Tags should be set by admins from the backend of the site. Once logged into the backend, the admin would be able to add new tags with whatever title/age restriction he/she may wish. For example, they could make a "PG13" tag. This in itself would do nothing, however it would supply users with a radio button labled "PG13" that they could check when upploading their image, which they would ideally only do when uploading a PG13 image. This would flag all images uploaded with that tag as "PG13". If users do not wish to see PG13 images, or they are under 13, the images would not be displayed to the user browsing the gallery.

Some devs here have expressed that it would be best for coppermine to stay away from recognizing adult content, as this would taint it's image. However, seeing as coppermine has already been developed with community sites in mind, I feel that a filter system with the ability to have custom tags set, and an age restriction per each tag is a logical next step. And if implemented as suggested, with no tags set by default, this leaves the end user ( the admin ) up to choose the tags.

I run a community site, and this feature would really help me out, and I've seen multiple posts where others are in the same shoes. Setting private galleries for certain topics only goes so far, and leaves too much work up to the admin if his community grows out of control. This is a valid feature that has a lot of merit, and I'm hoping others will feel the same way.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Custom content/filter tag system
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:55:51 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 20 queries.