Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer of website  (Read 2282 times)

EaglesPhoto

• Coppermine newbie
Transfer of website
« on: July 29, 2006, 03:29:51 am »

Hello,
   I am in the middle of tranfering hosting companies.
   I have searched the forums and found how to do the transfer itself. It doesn't look like that will be a problem.
   However I have a very large amount of photos on my site 92,000+. Is there any way to recreate file structure
   without having to transfer all of coppermine's folders over.
   The download looks likes it is going to take a couple days time wise and I have cable internet.
   Is this the only way to keep the file structure and all of coppermine's data.

Any input will be helpful thank you.

OmegaGOD

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I approve.
Re: Transfer of website
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 06:02:01 am »

EaglesPhoto:

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are going to transfer all of your files from one server to another, you will want to preserve the file structure of the CPG directories. The core CPG files don't take up much space  when compressed. If your on a Linux based hosting provider, you can gzip and tarball the entire CPG directory. This will compress your files and retain the file heirachy structure.

Hope this helps,

--OmegaGOD
Please do not PM me with support questions. Please read the manual and then if posting questions please place them in the proper sub-boards.

EaglesPhoto

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 07:01:30 am »

OmegaGOD,
       Thank you I am trying the gzip right now.
  Being such a large gallery and since I am trying to keep everything intact.
  It seems as though there is no way around a transfer that just may take a day or two to physically transfer files.

I guess my overall question is, is it normal for a large gallery to take a long time to download then upload to a new   
  host. Thanks, Joshua

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 07:35:18 am »

Yes, it may take long, depending on size and bandwidth of servers. Couldn't imagine it takes days though. My personal gallery has around 13k pics, a file backup is done in less than an hour, with an ADSL connection that has "only" a downstream of 1 MBit. Maybe your webhost is thotteling the bandwidth if a huge amount of files is being transfered.
If you know your way around (and your webhosts allow you to do so), you won't have to perform the two-step process (old server -> client -> new server), but you could perform this in just one step (old server -> new server).
I don't think so that image files can be compressed very much using gzip, as most images already are compressed (jpeg). Another drawback of creating an archive and transfering that is: if your server doesn't support resume, tranfering the huge archive may fail because of timeouts, and you'll have to start from scratch.

EaglesPhoto

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 07:47:35 am »

Thanks GauGau,
      When it comes to FTP the webhost that I currently have seems to be extremely slow.
      I will have to find out if the server has resume or not.
      Then I will give the (old server>new server) a try.
      With 92,000 pics this may be the only way to go.

Thank you for the help, Joshua

OmegaGOD

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I approve.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 12:53:29 am »

EaglesPhoto:

If your bandwidth is throttled by your webhost, you may try to tarball your entire CPG install without the intermediate photos and thumbnails. Even though those file sizes are considerably smaller, it may add up to a substantial savings when talking about 92K+ images. You could then have CPG recreate the thumbnails and intermediate images on your new webhost. I'm not sure where you would want to spend your time, waiting for a large transfer or recreating thumbnails and intermediate images.
Please do not PM me with support questions. Please read the manual and then if posting questions please place them in the proper sub-boards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.