Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integration with Google Maps - is it possible?  (Read 2989 times)

uk_martin

• Coppermine frequent poster
Integration with Google Maps - is it possible?
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:18:35 am »

I don't know if this is called a "Mashup" or if it's just plain old simple integration, however, I currently have a web site with a Coppermine Gallery and I would like to integrate it with Google Maps. (see http://www.google.com/apis/maps/)

The idea is that the Info Window on the Google Map (a "balloon" that contains descriptive information about a marker pin in the map. It can contain images, text links and more besides) should contain a thumbnail image of a person or object, and that by clicking on that image, the user is taken to that persons' / things' album in the Coppermine Gallery.

What can further be considered, is that Coppermine contains User Profiles stored in a MySQL database. Maybe, there is an easy way to populate the Info Window with the Personal Information of a user directly from the Coppermine Database, rather than duplicating the system.

Some means of creating a push-pin for Registered Coppermine Users only will need to be found I think, and a way of selecting a thumbnail from the existing Album.

Now here's the rub, Ideas I can do, but programming isn't really my bag. (I'm a pictures, animations and video person, not a coder / programmer)

Hopefully there will be someone out there who can do the programming who may benefit from their own self contained map / images / personal profile, and the end product can be thre for the benefit of all.

Yes I know that Flickr does something similar to all of this, but there is always the case of having a self-contained facility, especially if you are a UK site owner, as I suspect that owning a site that accesses personal information (no matter how voluntarily submitted) drags you under the auspices of the Data Protection Act (DPA). One of the duties
of the DPA is that due care needs to be exercised in the storage of Personal information, which when it's in the hands of a third party web site means that direct control over the data is lost.

Anyway, enough of the boring legal stuff, the question is whether anyone fancies the challenge of combining Google Maps with Coppermine?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:01:02 pm by Nibbler »

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
Chief Geek at Ranium Systems

uk_martin

• Coppermine frequent poster
Re: Integration with Google Maps - is it possible?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:19:41 pm »

Must remember to fix my white stick and stop my guide dog from chasing cats next time I do a search.

Thanks for the links, and thanks for TranzNDance for an excellent Mod.

Should be fun to install it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.