Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still having Login Issues  (Read 7112 times)

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
Still having Login Issues
« on: July 13, 2006, 02:00:29 pm »

I've changed the name of my cookie as suggested however my members are still getting the login problem. The one where you login, hit continue, and it doesn't log you in?? This happens on occassion.  I am having them delete their cookies however they are going to get tired of this and stop visiting my site, I'm afraid.

Where do I go from here
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 02:15:27 pm by Honeysmom »

Nibbler

Re: Still having Login Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:29:45 pm »

Post a link and a test user account. Changing the cookie name in config will not help you with login issues.

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 03:35:35 pm »

http://www.scrappinsecrets.com/gallery1/

test user account is

user:test
password:test1

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 03:39:27 pm »

Works ok for me. You really should update your gallery.

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 03:43:17 pm »

It only happens SOMETIMES not all the time.

Where do I need to go to update my gallery? This script was just run from my web hosting. I didn't actually install it myself.  All I did was change the template. I do not want to screw up anything I have.

If I update will it solve the problem? Are there instructions on updating? Please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 03:54:11 pm »

There are instructions provided in the manual.

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 03:56:43 pm »

Manul?? Is that some where on this site?

Sorry I am not familar with all of this. Like I said the coppermine was all done through my web hosting.

Nibbler

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 05:08:58 pm »

Click on 'documentation' at the top of the page. It is required that you fully read the documentation before posting questions on the support board.

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 06:10:29 pm »

Ok I found it and it says I'm running 1.4.2 which seems to be the latest upgrade?? SO I'm still not sure what I need to upgrade.

Nibbler

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 06:15:56 pm »

Click on 'Downloads' and you will see that 1.4.8 is available.

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 09:26:57 pm »

Ok I did upgrade, but I will be honest I just keep my same theme file. Is that where the problem is? I changed all the other files per the documentation, except for the classic theme file I kept that. (And the album, and other files)

I'm still getting the say login problem.

Nibbler

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 09:52:00 pm »

Problem is probably on your PC, since it works fine for me. Try a different web browser.

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 03:43:37 pm »

I'm not the one having the problem, my members are. I have had about 5 people that can't login.

Usually they can delete their cookies and restart but as a member of another site I find this frustrating.

I'm sorry if I am missing something as I seem karma is going down. I have read the manul and search the boards to find an answer to fix this problem. I have also contacted other people using this gallery and they are having the same problem.

Now I have a girl that just cant' login at all even if she deletes her cookies. I have tried renaming the cookie and it is still not working.

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 10:57:35 pm »

I'm replying on this post so that I do not start another.

Is there any known bug or software that would cause a user not to be able to login in. I have one member that can just not login at all anymore.

Everyone else is still deleting their cookies to login. I assume this is a bug in coppermine that has not been worked out and my only way around this is to wait for a possible, patch, update, or another software. other then NIS as she does not have that.

I am not asking anyone to SOLVE the problem of the one user because I understand it is her PC I'm asking if there is a known software interance.

However I do believe the login problem is a Coppermine problem because it is on several PC's and I knowanother user of the gallery that has this problem.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 11:02:44 pm by Honeysmom »

Nibbler

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 11:09:58 pm »

If it was a Coppermine issue it would be affecting everyone. Only known issues here are software on the user's PC that interferes with the normal operation of cookies and paranoid browser settings.

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 11:41:47 pm »

Ok well I give up, so it is an issue between a software problem and Coppermine, it must be a pretty common software problem as at least 10 of my members have had this issue and as mentioned before I know of a few other sites that have this same problem. Not to mention I've seen this problem mentioned several times on this board with no solution.

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=29465.0
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=31556.0
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=33829.0

Just for the record all I was asking is if you new of specific software, since it seems to be the issue I guess this is not a good program to use if there is a pretty common software that seems to interfere with it.

I have had this problem myself and have no idea what software on my computer could cause this problem.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 12:15:28 am »

Many web-driven apps are affected by silly cookie settings. Vendors of crappy-apps like "Norton Internet Security" make a living out of selling their silly apps, luring users into a false sense of security because they block something as innocent as cookies, while they allow users to continue using the unsecure default browser with unsecure default settings in place. Does this mean that Coppermine (or any other web-driven app that relies on cookie authentification) is bad? No. It means that users don't care and blame the web-driven app, just because they don't understand the technology and the silly twist the security discussion lead by Symantec and others has made. They even made you believe that the web-driven app is to blame instead of the client PC and the obscure settings there.
Just because there are several threads of users who have similar issues as you doesn't mean that Coppermine is to blame - remember that this board contains thousands of postings; you will find many nearly identical reports for any issue users did ever have, yet for the vast majority, everything is working as expected. The threads you refer to do not prove anything.
Remove the wheels from your car and then blame the construction workers who built the road that your car is not running... ::)
After all, Coppermine's target audience are webmasters who understand how a webserver and a browser work and interfere. If you don't understand the mechanisms that make the whole www tick, don't draw false conclusions. If you're not capable to set your client up to make it work as expected, then maybe coppermine is not the right app for you.

Joachim

Honeysmom

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 02:46:57 am »

To be honest with you I understand it is other software and I do not have a problem with it.

I was angry when I wrote my post because I feel that some of the administrators of this forum are just plain rude, for no reason.  All my post have been driven by the fact that I feel the person answering my post has been extremely disrespectful and rude to me for NO reason.

I think someone has forgotten that this a "support" forum, with an emphasis on the word support. And at times I do not feel my post were even fully read. I once said that members were having problems logging in and I was told there was a problem with MY PC. How could the problem be with MY PC if it was not me having the problem.

What is wrong with being a little nice.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 07:58:02 am »

OK, so it's a problem with someone's PC, not yours. ;D Feeling happy now? Trouble is: that other person doesn't show up, constantly nagging about Coppermine. You do. It's your job to explain to the other person who has silly cookie settings what we just explained to you then.

Joachim

P.S. There's one admin on this forum, so I guess you were refering to me as being rude. I highly recommend http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=22469.0 for reading and the subsequent pages linked in that thread.

Nibbler

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 08:09:23 am »

To be fair I said that in reply to your post which ended

I'm still getting the say login problem.

I assume that means 'same'.

To be honest if you don't have the problem and I can't replicate the problem there is not much a support board can do for you. I read a lot (in fact all) of the threads on this board, so I lose track of some of the details, sorry. Turning up on a support board without having read the manual, running outdated software, and maintaining an attitude that this is a bug tends to annoy developers, hence the terse responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.