Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nokia Lifeblog Intergration  (Read 13849 times)

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
Nokia Lifeblog Intergration
« on: July 06, 2006, 05:14:34 am »

In the future Version, It would be great if there was intergration using Nokia`s Lifeblog http://www.nokia.com/lifeblog system on your pc, to send all the pictures to your coppermine gallery.

This should be a future standard feature, as the intergration would be the same for all lifebloggers, apart from user and password settings of course.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:05:33 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Nokia Lifeblog Intergration
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:26:33 am »

It would not be a standard feature as it is not useful for a significant number of users. It is welcome as a plugin or mod/hack.

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 05:50:20 am »

I disagree, I think the only reason it isnt needed for a significant number of users is because it isnt avalible for them, If it was a standard feature then im sure a hell of a lot more users would use CPG.

But feel free to move my post if you so wish to.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 10:10:13 am »

There's a myriad of apps people request bridge files to be created for. We (the coppermine devs) focus on widely-used apps. Bridges for "exotic" apps don't get written by the coppermine dev team - we rely on user contributions, simply because we can't create nor maintain bridges for such a large number of apps. We're especially keen to see bridges for other open source apps - I doubt that your Nokia app is released as open source app.
As Thu suggested: if you need bridging for that particular app, you'll have to come up with one. Marking this thread accordingly.

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:45:05 pm »

Actually yes it is open source http://www.nokia.co.uk/BaseProject/Sites/lifeblog_54603/CDA/Categories/NokiaLifeblogTrilobiteEN/Blog/_Content/_Static_Files/lifeblog_posting_protocol_specification_1.0.pdf, and i guess if u had looked at it, you would of found out, try serching, as even the link was there posted in the thread for you.  ;D

And as I said how can something be a widley used bridge if you never make the bridge for it in the first place so it can become widely used.  ::)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

I do however love your guys patience  :'( with questions asked on here as half the time it looks as if you all cant be bothered.

How does the decescion making work on what requests are approved etc, Im guessing it just depends what Dev Team member picks the thread up to start with.

So no Democratic descions between you all.  Aww well I guess not!  ???

And while im being so nice and in a good mood, thanks for not bothering to even move this thread or merge where you say it should be placed.  >:(

Right said my bit!
 :-X

There's a myriad of apps people request bridge files to be created for. We (the coppermine devs) focus on widely-used apps. Bridges for "exotic" apps don't get written by the coppermine dev team - we rely on user contributions, simply because we can't create nor maintain bridges for such a large number of apps. We're especially keen to see bridges for other open source apps - I doubt that your Nokia app is released as open source app.
As Thu suggested: if you need bridging for that particular app, you'll have to come up with one. Marking this thread accordingly.

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:56:34 pm »

If no dev thinks it's worth doing then it doesn't get done. Since this is a windows only app that makes it a non-starter for many, including me.

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 03:20:25 pm »

If no dev thinks it's worth doing then it doesn't get done. Since this is a windows only app that makes it a non-starter for many, including me.
Well its things people say like this that annoy the hell out of normal users like myself, what has the fact that lifeblog being a windows application got to do with any of this???

Also Macs would account for an average of 2.44% share, so why quote this:
It would not be a standard feature as it is not useful for a significant number of users. It is welcome as a plugin or mod/hack.
Significant number of users,, mmn so thats not windows based users then?? And figures were obtained from http://pcversusmac.com/pcandmac_marketshare.htm in case u dont believe me.

You guys really dont seem bothered to even look into it. The Nokia Lifeblog application is PC based yes, and very soon will be availible on other operating systems too.

Its a shame all of you DEV staff really dont have much interest, as i dont really believe it is the majority you cater for, but yourselves.

Surely there must be some DEV staff that think outside the box and not stuck in thier own bubbles.

The future for CPG and all galleries in fact is surely uploading pictures from mobile phones, and as many ways to get pictures into the gallery as easily as possible so even simpleistic users can do this, I dont understand how you cant see it.
 :(

Nibbler

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 03:55:51 pm »

Well its things people say like this that annoy the hell out of normal users like myself, what has the fact that lifeblog being a windows application got to do with any of this???

I don't have any machines running windows so I can't install the software, nor do I have a compatible mobile phone. So unless you are willing to buy me a phone and a windows license then there is little I can do.

Also Macs would account for an average of 2.44% share, so why quote this: Significant number of users,, mmn so thats not windows based users then?? And figures were obtained from http://pcversusmac.com/pcandmac_marketshare.htm in case u dont believe me.

Why are you talking about macs ?

You guys really dont seem bothered to even look into it. The Nokia Lifeblog application is PC based yes, and very soon will be availible on other operating systems too.

Where does it say this ?

Its a shame all of you DEV staff really dont have much interest, as i dont really believe it is the majority you cater for, but yourselves.

Surely there must be some DEV staff that think outside the box and not stuck in thier own bubbles.

This is open source software, anyone in the world can code this feature should they wish to. It's not up to handful of devs to have the final say.

The future for CPG and all galleries in fact is surely uploading pictures from mobile phones, and as many ways to get pictures into the gallery as easily as possible so even simpleistic users can do this, I dont understand how you cant see it.
 :(

There are better ways of uploading pics from phones to galleries that don't require the use of proprietary single platform software.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 04:13:17 pm »

If there were an application that would work with all mobile phones regardless of country, carrier, manufacturer, GSM/CDMA, etc I'm sure the dev team would seriously consider it. But there is no such thing. What you want us to work on is limited to Coppermine users who use cell phones, and of those users, those who use Nokia, and only those phones that are Lifeblog-compatible, and on Windows computers.

Coppermine works for PCs, Macs, Linux... so your Mac example doesn't really make sense.

Coppermine development is a volunteer endeavor. As such, the volunteers prioritize what gets done. You don't tell an atheist to help out a church. Just like any other volunteer activity, we're not going to do something unless we either have a personal need for it or believe that enough people will benefit enough from the time and effort put into it.

If you really want this, then post in the Freelancers board and post your budget for how much you want to pay someone for their time and effort on this.

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 04:53:10 pm »

If there were an application that would work with all mobile phones regardless of country, carrier, manufacturer, GSM/CDMA, etc I'm sure the dev team would seriously consider it. But there is no such thing. What you want us to work on is limited to Coppermine users who use cell phones, and of those users, those who use Nokia, and only those phones that are Lifeblog-compatible, and on Windows computers.

Coppermine works for PCs, Macs, Linux... so your Mac example doesn't really make sense.

Coppermine development is a volunteer endeavor. As such, the volunteers prioritize what gets done. You don't tell an atheist to help out a church. Just like any other volunteer activity, we're not going to do something unless we either have a personal need for it or believe that enough people will benefit enough from the time and effort put into it.

If you really want this, then post in the Freelancers board and post your budget for how much you want to pay someone for their time and effort on this.
Thank You, All I really wanted was for someone to actually look at it and not just dismiss it without actually thinking about it.

I do agree lifeblog is limited to nokia phones, however the lifblog software that is for pc`s, and soon to be mac`s will be on all nokia handsets, and i really believe you could be helping the software to be more accessible to more and more people by doing this.

However i do also apprecciate you are volunteers etc, however even with volunteers sometimes, i think you need to be told certain things as i have seen a few posts which DEV volunteers have been quite rude and nasty to certain people at times.

I also have tried to post this in a support/hack post, but i cannot post in there for some reason.

Anyway I thank you for your reply, and time taken to look at this.

J
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:58:43 pm by jimmystocks »

Nibbler

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 05:20:17 pm »

The Modifications/Add-Ons/Hacks board is for actual mods and hacks contributions. It is not for requests for mods and hacks. Regular users are not able to post new threads to prevent this board from being cluttered by requests. If you want to contribute and are unable to create a new thread here, please post your contribution in the support boards under the correct version. A moderator will move the thread if it is a valid contribution.

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 01:41:20 am »

Oh my god,,, I give up!!!

Cant believe the amount of hassle you make it for us when this tread could of been moved a long time ago..

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 08:50:37 am »

Where should it be moved to? Only actual mods go into the mods board, not requests for mods (as suggested above). The dev team members will not create a bridge for your app. If someone should feel like doing the job and creating a bridge file as a custom contribution, then fine - we'd appreciate that. You're welcome to ask Lifeblog community members for a contribution - make them review this thread, they can then decide if they want to start a lifeblog bridge. Unless someone does that, this thread is located absolutely fine within this sub-board.
I find it strange that you think our attitude is wrong - did the thought never cross your mind that your attitude needs reviewing? I strongly recommend reading http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html (it's a long text, but you asked from us to read our way through your documents as well, so you should consider this).

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
Nokia Lifeblog
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 02:18:07 pm »

In the future Version, It would be great if there was intergration using Nokia`s Lifeblog http://www.nokia.com/lifeblog system on your pc, to send all the pictures to your coppermine gallery.

This should be a future standard feature, as the intergration would be the same for all lifebloggers, apart from user and password settings of course.

Thanks

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
Nokia Lifeblog
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 02:18:39 pm »

Thanks

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
Nokia Lifeblog
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 02:19:35 pm »

Thanks

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Nokia Lifeblog
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 02:21:19 pm »

Any one bridged lifeblog to CPG?? It would be great if there was intergration using Nokia`s Lifeblog http://www.nokia.com/lifeblog system on your pc, to send all the pictures to your coppermine gallery.

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 02:21:41 pm »

Any one bridged lifeblog to CPG?? It would be great if there was intergration using Nokia`s Lifeblog http://www.nokia.com/lifeblog system on your pc, to send all the pictures to your coppermine gallery.

jimmystocks

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 02:22:01 pm »

Nibbler

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 02:27:52 pm »

Thankyou for spamming our forum. That's a great way to get us to want to help you. Banned.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.