Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: allowing users to create their own albums within defined categories  (Read 5541 times)

zeus182

• Coppermine newbie

It is possible to create permission for users to create their own albums in categories that I (as the admin) create?  I know they can create them in user galleries, but I want to set up a category for each of my family members and have them create their own albums.  I want it to look similar to this:  www.ellisfoundation.com/photos.  This is my sis-in-law's family site and I talked to her, but she isn't the admin and has no idea how it was set up.  My site is photos.jenrobinson.net.
Thanks

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
Re: allowing users to create their own albums within defined categories
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 07:51:26 pm »

(1) Your sister-in-law's site is running Coppermine 1.3.2, which is very old.  She is strongly encouraged to upgrade because there are a number of security fixes in the current version.  It looks like she is using the default Hardwired theme, so she should be able to easily customize the 1.4 Hardwired theme for her site.  There are some posts on how to patch the 1.3 series, but that's not recommended.

(2) Users are only allowed to create albums in their user galleries.  They cannot create albums anyplace else.  Such a permission is often requested and, as a whole, more permissions are being considered for future versions of Coppermine (check the Feature Requests board).  There might be some mods that could help you (on the Mods board).

(3) You can set album & group permissions to allow users to upload to certain albums in any categories, but those albums have to exist first.  And the permissions are such that the albums are "public" in that once the album is set to allow uploads, all users in groups that are given permission to upload are allowed to upload in any of those albums. 

I have the exact same setup on my family's gallery - each couple has its own category and I have an "incoming photos" album in each category.  Family members upload files to the "incoming photos" album of the appropriate category, and then I move those photos to a new album I create as administrator.  It takes more time for me but significantly less time for them.  Usually, they upload ZIP files of the photos which makes it easier for me to set things up.  I use the "MassImport" plugin to actually add the large numbers of photos we have.

On this other thread, you asked about this setup.  Now I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a better idea for you.  Set up user accounts for each "category" you want, then the "User Galleries" become your family grouping categories.  Using the mod in that thread, you can show the User Galleries on the main page.  Family members can create albums in their User Galleries and do whatever they like.  There might be some issues, but it sounds promising at first thought.

zeus182

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 12:18:59 am »

Thanks for your help.  Setting up categories for each family member and then later going in and creating albums sounds like a possibility, but frankly a little more work than I really want to do.  I was looking at the mod to make the user albums show up on the index page as an alternative, but as I said in the other post, I added the code to my theme.php file, but the index page didn't show up at all.  I only have one user gallery set up at this point under a test user as I'm trying to get this set up the way I want before my family starts uploading, but the gallery isn't listed on the main page.  I still have to click user galleries to see it.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 03:06:01 am »

I posted on the other thread regarding the user galleries index not showing up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.