Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any way to reduce cpu load when loading index "Random thumbnails"  (Read 2843 times)

dke

Hi all,

Im running this on a not so good machine (p4 1500mhz with 512 rambus) but i figure its worth asking.

When people surf my page it takes a few seconds for it to load the index (mainly because it has to generate 8 random pictures from my fairly large database which has 110 000 pictures in it)

Im guessing that the cpu jumps to 100% might be normal, but its always worth asking if there might be a setting in http.conf / php.ini or even in coppermine that would reduce the load, and make it load quicker?

Anyone have any tips?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Sure, the random albums generate a huge strain on the script for large galleries. Just disable random meta album as suggested in the docs and FAQ

dke

ahh, thanks..

well i was hoping for a solution that wouldnt require me to turn of the random images, but i guess i have to since i have 110 000 pictures it gives the computer alot of load.

A simple question though, turning off "random images" is it enough to just remove the string "random,2" in the admin.php or should i find somewhere were i can turn it "off" like it says in the FAQ.

FROM FAQ: 'random': random pictures (leaving random pictures "on" for huge galleries with more than 10,000 pics might result in performance problems; switch random "off" in this case)

I guess "off" just means removing "random,2"? Cause now when i have it off and i use "lastup,4" for my main page (which shouldnt take to much load) it still takes a slight while to load the main page and the cpu goes to 100%, im having a feeling that it still tries to random images and then it checks the value in admin.php and it says 0 so it continues on without, or maybe its just my ol server not able to handle it :)

thanks in advance

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

I guess "off" just means removing "random,2"?
Exactly
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.