Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SEF Plugin known issues?  (Read 5038 times)

tfischer

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • Fischersplace Photo Gallery
SEF Plugin known issues?
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:46:48 pm »

Please don't thwack me too hard for asking -- I did search...   ;)

Are there a list of known bugs/issues with the SEF Url's plugin?  I have activated it on my site, and got it working, and on the surface seems to be fine.  But I read several posts from folks saying "I wouldn't use it on my site".  I'm just curious what sorts of badness I should be looking for?

Like I said, I did search, and most of the issues people seem to be having was it didn't work at all (I was there too, but after some .htaccess tweaking it now seems to be fine).  Just want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Thanks
-Tim
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:26:44 pm by TranzNDance »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: SEF Plugin known issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:46:28 am »

Some hosts don't allow for mod rewrite, so the sef urls aren't properly parsed, resulting in 404s. Also, it only works on apache servers.

tfischer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:18:00 am »

Some hosts don't allow for mod rewrite, so the sef urls aren't properly parsed, resulting in 404s. Also, it only works on apache servers.

That much I knew (and neither applies to me -- seems to be working great).  I also understand there's an issue with custom sort order.  But I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something more sinister lurking that I was missing (or I should say "something known" -- I understand this is still experimental/beta/whatever).  I just saw a lot of comments of the form "I wouldn't use this on a real server..." which made me wonder what I was missing.

Thanks,
-Tim

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 10:16:02 am »

Not all meta albums and - generally speaking - stuff that can be handed over using the get method (stuff that changes the URL) is fully implemented in the sef_url plugin. So some things may or may not work. You should be fine to use it (I can't think of a particular security-related issue), but you have to test it thoroughly (not only as admin, but as regular user and as guest) to make sure all links work as expected and don't result in a 404.

tfischer

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 04:25:42 pm »

Not all meta albums and - generally speaking - stuff that can be handed over using the get method (stuff that changes the URL) is fully implemented in the sef_url plugin. So some things may or may not work. You should be fine to use it (I can't think of a particular security-related issue), but you have to test it thoroughly (not only as admin, but as regular user and as guest) to make sure all links work as expected and don't result in a 404.

Great -- thanks for the info. 

-Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.