Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.4.6  (Read 4516 times)

budnspuds

• Coppermine newbie
Question about upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.4.6
« on: June 03, 2006, 04:08:43 am »

Hi,

Please be patient and NO biting!!!   :-\  My articulation went out with my brain cells from designing my website the past 2 days.   :o

I have read many posts regarding what I need help with but nothing completely answering it in it's entirety.  I appreciate your help!  ;D

I am NOT asking about Fantastico.  What I am asking after reading numerous posts where it was stated that Fantastico is buggy and when I originally installed my Gallery it was using Fantastico. 

HOWEVER, now I am wanting to upgrade on my own without fantastico. 

Here is my question that I haven't been able to find answers too!

If the files from Fantastico are buggy how will that affect when I go to upgrade the new file? 

The next question I want to be sure of is I just finished changing all the colors on my template to match my website. Will I lose this when I ugrade?  I am using the Water Drop theme with no hacks just as it came.  The only thing I changed were the colors. 

Also in the documentation it mentions if the file install.php exists in the root directory, delete it.  Are they speaking about in my older version or the new 1.4.6 files? 

I apologize again as I am totally new to all this and it has taken me a lot of time to get where I am.   ;D

Also I am confused about the doc/manual where it says to run the file "update.php" once in the browser.  This confuses me.  I was planning on transferring the appropriate files via my server to the folder designated for my current gallery but leave the albums and config.inc.php & anycontent.php files as is.  Will this work.

Where I get confused in the notes is to in the browser http://yourdomain.tld/coppermine/update.php this will update the coppermine.  Will that depend on my directory.  I have my domain/Gallery (instead of coppermine) what is the tld at the end of the domain.  :)  I am feeling really stupid.  :) 

ps... I came back with another idea?  Would it be easier to uninstall 1.4.2 gallery from my server but leave the back up files on my computer.  Then install 1.4.6 as a new install and then replace the album file, config.inc.php & anycontent.php files with the ones from 1.4.2? 

Thanks so much!!!
Shawn
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 08:10:39 am by Stramm »

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
Re: Question about upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.4.6
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 04:43:59 am »

Yikes!  In the future, please stick to one issue per thread (which is the rule on the forum).  But I'll answer your points here to get you up to speed.

Quote from: budnspuds
If the files from Fantastico are buggy how will that affect when I go to upgrade the new file? 
Mainly the install using Fantastico is buggy, from what I can tell.  I haven't done it myself, but you should be able to upgrade to the latest version from your current version.  The upgrade will take care of the differences and replace all your core scripts with the new 1.4.6 scripts.

The next question I want to be sure of is I just finished changing all the colors on my template to match my website. Will I lose this when I ugrade?  I am using the Water Drop theme with no hacks just as it came.  The only thing I changed were the colors.
If you are truly using version 1.4.2 right now, there are no theme differences when upgrading to 1.4.6.  In fact, there are no feature differences at all, only security fixes and bug fixes.

Also in the documentation it mentions if the file install.php exists in the root directory, delete it.  Are they speaking about in my older version or the new 1.4.6 files? 
For the new 1.4.6 files.  Those files will replace your current ones, then you will delete install.php.

Also I am confused about the doc/manual where it says to run the file "update.php" once in the browser.  This confuses me.  I was planning on transferring the appropriate files via my server to the folder designated for my current gallery but leave the albums and config.inc.php & anycontent.php files as is.  Will this work.
Yes, if you follow the upgrade steps in the docs to the letter, this is what you do.

Where I get confused in the notes is to in the browser http://yourdomain.tld/coppermine/update.php this will update the coppermine.  Will that depend on my directory.  I have my domain/Gallery (instead of coppermine) what is the tld at the end of the domain.  :)  I am feeling really stupid.  :) 
Type in the URL to your Coppermine installation with update.php at the end.  You need to run the file wherever it is. 

ps... I came back with another idea?  Would it be easier to uninstall 1.4.2 gallery from my server but leave the back up files on my computer.  Then install 1.4.6 as a new install and then replace the album file, config.inc.php & anycontent.php files with the ones from 1.4.2? 
No, you cannot do this because you want to keep your current database tables so you need to do an upgrade.  Yes, you could do a new install, but then you'd have to create your albums & add your photos all over again.

Important Note: It is strongly recommended that you backup your files & database regularly, and it is also useful before an upgrade.  Your files can be backed up using FTP to your local computer.  The database can be backed up using a tool like phpMyAdmin or mySQLdumper.

budnspuds

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 05:42:46 am »

Thanks so much Paver!!! Didn't mean to overwhelm you and I apologize for breaking the rules!  I will admit in all the reading I have done the past 2 days I forgot the forum rules. 

I thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions.  Have a great night!!!  Wish me luck!!! 

Shawn

budnspuds

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 09:11:48 am »

Update!!!

I did it!!!   ;D

It worked perfectly.  The only thing that didn't work was my color changes.  It put it back to the default colors of the theme rather than what I spent my whole day doing - changing the colors to match my site.  That's ok though I can figure that out. 

Thanks again!
Shawn

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 10:41:07 am »

Not at all, as you replace the files that are potentially buggy with fresh files from our package - that's the whole idea of upgrading. Just do as suggested in the upgrading section of the docs

The next question I want to be sure of is I just finished changing all the colors on my template to match my website. Will I lose this when I ugrade?
In the future, respect the "one question per thread" policy you agreed to respect when signing up. You should have done as suggested in the docs and created a custom theme by creating a sub-folder within the themes folder (name it "mytheme" or similar) and copy the water_drop files into it. Then edit themes/mytheme/template.html and change all references from "water_drop" to "mytheme". Then you go to coppermine's config and change the theme that you want to see used by switching the theme from "water_drop" to "mytheme". This way, your custom theme won't get overwritten when updating, as the Coppermine package doesn't contain a theme named "mytheme".

This doesn't matter at all and can be ignored. An existing install file (be it old or new) doesn't hurt. Delete it or keep it, won't make any difference. The section needs removal in the docs.

Joachim

budnspuds

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 02:47:29 am »

Thanks Joachim!  ;D

I appreciate your help on the theme and will do this for future upgrades!!

I did apologize in my post for not following the policy.  It wasn't done intentionally.  It was an honest mistake after days of working on my website. 

Thanks again!
Shawn

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.