Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A site has its "powered by coppermine" deleted  (Read 9828 times)

hyacinth

• Coppermine novice
A site has its "powered by coppermine" deleted
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:00:39 pm »

I'm courious that is this site has its "powered by coppermine" deleted... ???

http://www.diplo.co.uk/gallery/

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: A site has its "powered by coppermine" deleted
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 05:29:04 am »

Someone named "Quinn K" has already signed the guestbook:
Downright rude to remove the "Powered by Coppermine" from your gallery. Shame on you. You benefit from the work of the developers and don't even leave a little painless advertising for them?
I guess the guy who runs the site wanted to proof that he's capable to remove the disclaimer ::). There always are people who think that they don't have to give credit where credit is due. I pity them.

Dr Preacox

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • Is the Matrix...
    • Dynamic Creations
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:07:21 am »

Im sure he didn't remove it himself, he probably searched it on google.
My Mods:
Making Memberlist Public - VIEW
Different Way of Displaying Categories - VIEW
Coming Soon - Automated Sub Domains -MOD

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:34:16 am »

I signed the guestbook on that page
Yeah, I agree with Quinn that it is very poor behaviour to remove the Coppermine credits, especially if you're a coder yourself and wouldn't want to see your credit line in your code removed. If you think that getting bad press is better than getting no reviewing at all, then keep on ignoring postings like http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=32118.0
It's mandatory to put the credit line back into place.

Joachim Mueller (aka GauGau)
- coppermine project manager -

Diplo

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:26:21 pm »

Hi

I'm the author of the website in question (http://www.diplo.co.uk/) and have noted the comments made. However, in my defense I would like you to consider the following points:

1. There is a link and credit to the Coppermine gallery in the Credits section of my website. I also link to and credit it in the Links section of my site (under Web Authoring). So, that's two links and credits I'm giving to the gallery.

2. The version of Coppermine I am using is extremely old (probably three years old) and isn't really indicative of how the current (much better!) gallery looks. I have also modified the code and HTML quite a bit to customise it. Therefore I don't believe including a big credit on it saying 'Powered by Coppermine' is in the interests of the authors as the gallery is in no way indicative of the current release.

However, if the authors wish for me to include a credit then fair enough, I'd be happy to (alongside the ones that already exist on my site). I personally think having a big 'Powered By...' line looks rather ugly, but there you go... I just wish you'd contacted me privately in the first place rather than starting some thread about it on a forum and posting negative (and factually incorrect) comments all over my guestbook.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 07:51:54 pm »

It's rude to ignore the wishes of open-source developers and assume you have a good enough reason to do so.

The spirit of the open-source community is to keep everything in public, so everyone learns from all discussions and experiences.  Handling things in private would be antithetical to that spirit.

Your link under "Credits" points to a squatter site, by the way.

edit: Otherwise, I am very impressed with the look, feel, and content of your website.  Nice job.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 08:02:29 pm by Paver »

Diplo

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 09:11:12 pm »

It's rude to ignore the wishes of open-source developers and assume you have a good enough reason to do so.
But who's wishes have I ignored? I have the original README.html file for V1.1.0 still on my site and I see no mention at all of having to display any 'Powered by...' message. The same goes for the GNU license which came with it, which openly states "that you can change the software or use pieces of it
in new free programs". Now, you may have added these requirements for versions released after the one I have, but surely you can't expect that to apply retrospectively?

The fact is, Coppermine also utilises code from many other pieces of software, too. Do you put a POWERD BY....XXX on every page on your website? No, you credit them in a manner and form of your own choosing, in the same way as I credit Coppermine in a way that is in keeping with the way I wish to run my site. The whole point of open software is that you make it freely available to people and don't try and dictate to them what they do with it. (By the way, I also write free software which I give away and I don't feel the need to impose on people who use it that it has to have my name emblazed on it. If they wish to give a link back to me, that's fine, but it is up to them.) As I said, I'm happy to credit the authors, I just wish to do so in my own way.
The spirit of the open-source community is to keep everything in public, so everyone learns from all discussions and experiences.  Handling things in private would be antithetical to that spirit.
Well, I'm quite happy to discuss things in a reasonable manner, but I do take afront to being labeled as "pitiful" by an Administrator of the site without them having bothered to discuss matters with me first or ascertain the full facts. I'm sure that is not the spirit of the open-source community that you would wish to promote.
Your link under "Credits" points to a squatter site, by the way.
I'm not sure how long you have been involved in the project but in the early days there wasn't any main website or sourceforge site. That "squatter site" was the main site! As I said, the version I use is very old! However, I will change the link to point to the correct site ASAP. Thank you for spotting that.
edit: Otherwise, I am very impressed with the look, feel, and content of your website.  Nice job.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 10:35:39 pm »

Wow, that Coppermine version is quite old.  I have only been involved for the past 6 months and assumed way too much.  I apologize for that.

We all are individuals and each have our own personalities.  So when a dispute comes up, it may become contentious, but it's in the spirit to keep it in the open, warts and all.  A more thorough discussion may include some nasty bits, but it's much more instructive and interesting, in the end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.