Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I CAN'T CHANGE LANGUAGE  (Read 8102 times)

chican

• Coppermine newbie
I CAN'T CHANGE LANGUAGE
« on: May 12, 2006, 12:14:06 am »

I CAN'T TO CHANGE THE LANGUAGE FROM THE GALLERY TO SPANISH.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 12:26:02 am by chican »

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
Re: I CAN'T CHANGE LANGAGE
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 12:21:38 am »

You need to provide more details.  Have you already installed Coppermine?  What version?  Are you trying to change it in the configuration panel?

Please provide a link to your site.

chican

• Coppermine newbie
Re: I CAN'T CHANGE LANGAGE
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 12:25:12 am »

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
Re: I CAN'T CHANGE LANGUAGE
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:32:53 am »

Ok.  If I go to http://www.villachicanos.co.nr/galeria?lang=spanish, I see your site in Spanish.

So do you want the site to always be in Spanish?  Or do you want users to be able to choose the language?

On the administrator CONFIG panel, look under "Language & Charset settings".  The language you choose there is the site's main language.  For "Display language list", you can set whether your users can choose the language.

This is all in the Coppermine documentation which is also on your admin toolbar on your site, or you can go to the link at the top of this page.

chican

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 12:38:12 am »

i  always be in Spanish but when i change in the configuration panel stay in english.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 12:40:02 am »

When you change a config panel setting, you have to click on the button "Save New Configuration" which is at the bottom of the panel.  I sometimes forget to click it, maybe you forgot?

chican

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 01:02:51 am »

yes.I save it
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 01:18:17 am by chican »

mickeybyte

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 11:45:57 am »

Hey,

I just encountered same problem. I change language to Dutch, but it doesn't save it (even though I click Save Settings!), always comes back in English

however, calling the page with ?lang=dutch after it, shows the page in dutch, if I then go to settings, it says dutch, and since then it's in dutch.

maybe you can try this?

Greetz,
MickeyByte

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 04:38:40 pm »

Weird.  Do any other settings "save"?  In particular, does the theme "save"?  (The theme has a ?theme= GET parameter as well.)

mickeybyte

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 05:23:05 pm »

yes, theme saves correctly.

I think by putting the ?lang=dutch explicitly in the URL, it reset the language. Can it be it automatically takes it from the language settings in Windows/Browser?

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 05:31:01 pm »

Can it be it automatically takes it from the language settings in Windows/Browser?

Yes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 11:47:28 pm »

adnan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 08:46:20 am »

I have  same problem too !
I haven't this problem in cgp 1.4.5 but in your new version 1.4.6 , I can't change langauage !
I changed to persian language in config panel and save it. but when I refresh my page , it back to defualt language ( english) .

what's problem ?

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 09:13:48 am »

Hmm... I can confirm the issue people are reporting.  I don't know enough about the language auto-detect and other code to say whether this is "as designed" or not.

Changing the language in the Config panel *does* change it in the database.  However, if your $USER['lang'] is set, the config panel ignores the configuration setting in the database and shows the $USER['lang'] setting instead.  This doesn't make sense to me since the configuration panel should show you the configuration table entries.  Yes, the user can set something different, but shouldn't the config panel show you the config settings?

Granted I haven't used the language features hardly at all, but it seems to me that it's very difficult to unset that $USER['lang'] setting.  Clearing cookies does not do so.  $USER['lang'] is set to "english" the very first time I come to the site, so the config setting is never used.  Using the ?lang= GET parameter does change the USER setting, and using the dropdown language box also does so.  I could not find any case where the USER setting was *not* set to something.

I don't know if this is different from previous versions and I have only looked briefly at the code so I don't know if this USER setting is "by design" or not.  Regardless, it seems to me that the first time a user comes to a site, the config setting should be used.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.