Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving the CMG to a larger storage area  (Read 3168 times)

pointman

• Translator
  • Coppermine newbie
    • Coppermine Photo Gallery - Min-MC.dk
Moving the CMG to a larger storage area
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:01:40 am »

Is it possible to move all pictures to a larger storage area, at a later time?  Right now I have plenty of space, but that could over time be used, and how would I then move CMG to a larger storage place?  A complete new install or can I just move a reference to a new storage area?

Sincerely

Erling

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Moving the CMG to a larger storage area
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 09:12:16 am »

coppermine stores relative links to the pic files inside the database (relative, seen from the albums folder). Moving storage location somewhere is is rather easy: you move the files somewhere else (preserving the structure within the albums folder), then you change the reference to the albums folder in coppermine's config and you're done. However, it's recommended to keep the albums folder within the coppermine folder. The albums folder must be within your webroot. On Lunix, it's usually enough to appy a symlink, an Windows you could try to create a junction. After all, you only need to know your way around in webserver setup, coppermine itself is rather flexible. However, remote storage (on another server, using http methods) is not supported, as coppermine doesn't have control over the files on a remote server.

pointman

• Translator
  • Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 10:26:32 am »

It's on a windows server right now, and possible stays there....  What I was think of, is to move folder with the pictures to a new diskstorage on the server, and that way extende the life of the installation until the server is to old to host the system....

What when I need to move the system to new hardware...  Is it possible to move the database and the CMG file strukture and keep things running.... I guess I have to export the database data and import them again on the new server and the just copy the files from CMG over.... or is there more into it...?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 06:04:15 pm »

both options are possible: moving the albums folder only to another drive (you'll have to edit your webserver settings) or moving the entire install to another drive. Like I said before: this is all a matter of server setup, not a coppermine issue. That's what webhosts do all the time. You just have to know your way around in webhosting.
I'd like to add that running your own webserver is only recommended for very experienced users who know their way around in webhosting and server setup extremely well, so I suggest reviewing the entire idea of self-hosting (as an experienced webserver admin wouldn't have had to ask what you asked). No hard feelings, nor am I trying to be rude - I'm trying to be helpful.

pointman

• Translator
  • Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »

I do self-hosting since I got the server and the internet linie for it it would be way to expensive to let it get hosted. Right now my server has 20gb of space for the gallery, and so far only 100mb is used...

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:28:17 pm »

this should be enough imo, unless you plan to add a lot of hires pics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.