Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: youtube on coppermine  (Read 6091 times)

ctcentralinfo

• Coppermine novice
youtube on coppermine
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:27:43 am »

Just upgraded from 1.3.5 to 1.4.5 and I was wondering if you can put a link from youtube and have the videos play in coppermine.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: youtube on coppermine
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 07:05:19 am »

I have no idea what youtube is. Coppermine is not a videoplayer though, it just embeds the media player into your page. Remote storage isn't supported neither, so this means 2 suspects down.

edgarg

• Coppermine novice
    • Oblonga disrupcion visual
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:12:19 pm »

youtube is the most popular way of sharing videos online. Basically you upload your video youtube hostsit kind of a flickr for videos.

IMHO:
I think it would be extremelly useful for a piece of software as coppermine to support the emmeding of youtube.
youtube is now the easyest and most sucessful way of sharing video content, I bet there will be a lot of people interested in that. and will make coppermine an excelent way of showcasing some

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:46:05 am »

The dev team isn't going to add code that makes it easy for people to steal bandwidth. That's what is essentially going to happen. People store files on youtube's servers, and use its bandwidth to show stuff in their gallery. Bandwidth can get expensive, and youtube is a free service. I don't think it's cool to leech from a free service like that.

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:43:47 pm »

Youtube encourgae people to share the videos in this way, they provide code for you to embed their player into your site.. Would make a good plugin.

edgarg

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 01:01:36 am »

But you know youtube?

youtube.com
Watch
Instantly find and watch 1000's of fast streaming videos.   
Upload
Quickly upload and tag videos in almost any video format.   
Easily share your videos with family, friends, or co-workers.

Nibbler is right, youtube people encourage that, what they do is to embed a watermark of youtube on your video and make it easy togo to the youtube site, if you double click the image of the video.

IMHO : I think  is part of their business is not stealing.  and I think is a great oportunity to get in the video euphoria that is coming on the net.

blackmamba

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 12:05:16 am »

"I don't think it's cool to leech from a free service like that."

They are not as "free" as you think :) Every movie has its own commercial on top. Advertising is $$$ :)) And advertising 3 minutes every commercial ... I'd pay for that :)

Still, it's a good ideea to have YouTube on coppermine gallery :)

I appreciate your effort in making this software such a sweet one! (and free) You Rule!

h4nh4n

• Translator
  • Coppermine novice
  • God loves you!
    • Indonesian Actress
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 02:22:01 am »

i hope there's a mod for this :)
Artis Indonesia - Albums of Indonesian Actresses
Johan Ng - Personal Website

edgarg

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 02:03:56 pm »

I do not think is that difficult to implement since youtube uses an html like this.

I hope they decide on the go, for the good of every one, will make a good complement to the services coppermine gives.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdb1tKKVuEY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdb1tKKVuEY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.