Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running CPG from a RAM Drive?  (Read 3661 times)

dcbrit2003

• Coppermine newbie
Running CPG from a RAM Drive?
« on: April 13, 2006, 03:45:38 pm »

Hi,

This is not really a support question per se, just a general question. Would it be possible to run MySQL/CPG from a RAM drive? There have been various discussions of late on these boards about CPG's performance in high traffic environments and I have been running my own tests on my own test system with CPG installed. As noted in previous threads the index page has the most SQL queries to run and hence takes the longest time to load; I have confirmed this on my test system as well. However, I have noticed on my test system that this is primarily comprised of accesses to my hard drive.

I was wondering if a High Performance version of CPG should simply be a RAM drive version rather than some complex re-writing of the code/multiple various of CPG, etc. So, I am wondering if using a RAM Drive is possible with how CPG is currently coded and if any changes to the DB in the RAM Drive can be written to the system hard drive every 10 mins or so? Just a though anyway.

Regards, Mark

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
Re: Running CPG from a RAM Drive?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:58:50 am »

You most likely will not realize much benefit from serving it from a ram drive.   You will realize the most benefit by running the database on the same server that hosts the pages, since it minimizes the round trip time it takes to issue and receive SQL queries.

It is also highly advised to turn on query caching on your mysql install and give it a reasonable query cache size.  Performance increases can be dramatic.

If you are still concerned with performance, reduce the number of elements being loaded on the main page, for example remove the randoms and last uploaded, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.