Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Option to require registering users to provide basic info  (Read 4543 times)

cgc0202

• Coppermine frequent poster
Option to require registering users to provide basic info
« on: April 11, 2006, 12:33:49 am »

Hello,

I encounter this not only in Coppermine but most of the softwares I wanted to use. 

An actual example, in our family album using Coppermine, I opted for notification if someone registered as well as to contribute photos.  There was no requirement for Admin approval, just validation of email address.  This weekend, I did not recognize the username used by one registrant and it was only because I recognized the email address that I realized it was one of my relatives using a different username.

The site itself allows public viewing of many albums but registration to contribute photos.  However, unless they turn out to be relatives, there is no way to screen those who register with just the email validation.  Similarly, answering "yes" to Admin validation will not be that helpful either to make a sound decision on whether to approve the application of a registrant or not -- let us say if someone from another country or even another city would register.

Is there anyway to include a feature that would  require some basic information to be provided -- for example name and address plus brief description of personal profile. For  privacy reasons, the registrant must have the option to hide the provided information from the public but I need them as Admin to decide whether a registrant is really suitable to contribute photos.

As an interim solution, if the above proposed required feature is not yet in place or if not going to be popular among potential admins Coppermine, where and what part of the "register.php"(?) would it be good to insert a note indicating my desie to request registrants to provide certain info?  It looks like the "Terms and Conditions" might be a good place to integrate this note.  However, it is even more powerful to reiterate this in the actual registration form itself.  [I just cannot find  these files where I could modify the text.  I should add I have no scripting or programming background. ]

I plan to include this note in a "Visitor's Guide" but it would be more powerful and registrants would understand it better if such note is included in the registration window. [This will avoid unwanted emails inquiring why a registration application was not approved.]

Thanks.

CGC
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:08:40 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Option to require registering users to provide basic info
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 08:08:26 am »

There already are custom user profile fields that can be used exactly for this purpose, see http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#admin_custom

Those fields are optional on registration, but there are mods that explain how to make them mandatory.

cgc0202

• Coppermine frequent poster
Re: Option to require registering users to provide basic info
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:23:59 pm »

There already are custom user profile fields that can be used exactly for this purpose, see http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#admin_custom

Those fields are optional on registration, but there are mods that explain how to make them mandatory.

GauGau: Sorry for the delay in responding.  This escaped my "those who responded to your post" awhile back.  It might have been burried when I was knew, and I was posting quite a few.  But, this is a recurring problem, and it waste a lot of my time, as an Admin.

I already check all those GauGau, at least those that I could do through the Config, so the emails and minimal information are filled.  But, with this automated response:

"A new user with the username "spartsite" has registered in your gallery.
In order to activate the account, you need to click on the link below or copy and paste it in your web browser.
http://mysite/gal011/register.php?activate=7d22a05dfade7879e722d4dea431a55b"

I have no idea for example who "spartsite" is.  That will require my having to login to check what info was provided.  What can be done so that the info provided  (except the password) would be included in the automated response, and if there is not enough information, or the person is not a member of the "Flickr screening group" that we have to see whether the images comply with the basic requirements -- then if the provided info is not sufficient then appropriate automated response might be sent -- like "introduce yourself and show examples of your images" if not a member of the "Flickr screening group" or if sample images are not in compliance -- a similar automated email could be sent.

Cornelio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.