Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no image popup  (Read 6187 times)

bulldozer

• Coppermine regular visitor
no image popup
« on: March 12, 2004, 11:59:43 pm »

How can I make big image appear on same page instead of popup?

Rodinou

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • Tournicoti, Tournicota
    • http://www.sortons.net
no image popup
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 04:48:38 am »

Good question ...

But I have a "global" question : where can we configure this request, but too ... how to link directly a big image without beeing in HTML POPUP ???!

(and in this serie of questions, how to do exactly the same thing with the intermediate pic ?)

bulldozer

popups
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 07:55:59 am »

The popup image thing just really sucks. IE 6 loads pop up windows really slow. I also use browsers like MyIE which put popups in tabs, so sometimes I don't even see the popups.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: popups
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 11:53:30 am »

First of all: if you don't like pop-ups, then don't use them! Don't upload pics that can not be displayed in "regular" coppermine windows. Edit you config settings to allow the display of bigger pics in the displayimage view.
Quote from: "bulldozer"
IE 6 loads pop up windows really slow.
That's impossible: the pop-up code is really light-weight - if the pop-up loads slowly, that's because the full-size pic in it is just to huge.
Quote from: "bulldozer"
I also use browsers like MyIE which put popups in tabs, so sometimes I don't even see the popups
Browsers like myIE that have built-in pop-up blockers are great - you can get rid of unwanted pop-up ads this way, but if you want pop-ups to appear, you can easily turn the pop-up blocker off temporarily (applies to all kinds of other pop-up blockers as well).

The idea of having pop-ups for full-size pics is that you want to display pics that are so big that embedding text and graphics output of your "regular" page layout won't fit on the page as well.

I don't want to sound rude, but your requests sound like you haven't given enough thought on what you're requesting. The pop-up is a workaround for the problem that is as old as the www itself: you can't tell reliably what screen resolution the page visitors have, so you have to go for a "one design fits all" layout...

GauGau

bulldozer

no image popup
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 06:38:50 pm »

I'm not sure about coding in IE, all I know is that when I switched from IE 5 to 6, popups are much slower.

As for popups, I can see your point with there being some need for them. However, I still believe navigation is much better without them.

For example, I click on the thumbnail, it make picture bigger, I click on that, and it loads popup of picture. Then user has to find popup window, look at pic close it, then go to other window to click on more links to go back to index thumbnails.

I think that if header info above big picture is shrunken or eliminated, this would pretty much eliminate need for popups. For example, you click on thumbnail, takes to bigger image with forward and back arrows above/below pic, then you click again and it loads big picture on same page with no back/forward arrows or other text on page.

Then this pic could be hyperlinked with javascript history code to go back one or two pages when you click on it.

It looks like you already have this code in place for popup. It just has be made where it loads on same page.

Just my opinion. So far Coppermine seems to be best free picture program I've seen.

How can I edit maximum size for picture?

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
no image popup
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 10:44:31 pm »

If picture A is 800x600, and the intermediate pic settings (in the Config console) are 400x600, Coppermine will create three images when the image is added.  If the settings are 800x600, Coppermine will only create 2 and the popup will not be a problem for you.

If you want to do your own coding to control this, you need only look at displayimage.php and scripts.js.
"Then, Fletch," that bright creature said to him, and the voice was very kind, "let's begin with level flight . . . ."

-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

(http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/buttons/getfirefox_small.png)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
no image popup
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 07:19:19 am »

split unrelated reply and moved it: Intermediate picture linking back to thumbnail-how?
Do not hijack threads - not even the ones you started!

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.