Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coppermine on VPS  (Read 3867 times)

Ice_Cream

• Coppermine newbie
Coppermine on VPS
« on: April 05, 2006, 04:05:58 pm »

I had my coppermine gallery on shared hosting but it got kicked off the server within about 8hrs due to eating the servers resources.  ::)

So I moved my gallery to a VPS and put it online last night. Now every 15 mins I am getting a message on my server control panel saying "IO Status: Throttling" about every 15 minutes and I have to reboot the server to get it working again  :-\

So I'm guessing this is a memory issue?

I have disabled random image on the gallery and have no "on the fly" watermark system installed.

Here is my gallery http://www.tokiohotel.co.uk/ (although it probably won't be working when you try  :'( )

Anyone know what I can do?

The VPS has 128MB of ram and has a fair share of "Dual Xeon 2.6+, HyperThreading Enabled (4 Logical Processors)." Apparently there are less than 30 VPS servers per server and we all get a fair share of the CPU,However I think it is burstable so on busy periods if no one is using some of the CPU I can use what is spare.

Any ideas?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Coppermine on VPS
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:14:56 pm »

Every server, no matter how powerful, can be broken by a large number of visitors. Your site deals with a very popular topic, so I guess that you're been brought down by the sheer number of hits you got. You should consult your server logs and check if people tried to leech you frequently or hotlinked your pics. You should apply hotlink protection and anti-leeching strategies (no coppermine features, server-sided stuff using .htaccess methods recommended). Discuss the server logs with your webhost and ask for strategies. There's little we could possibly advise, as the site is in maintenance mode for everyone but the admin.

Joachim

P.S. What's "VPS"?

Ice_Cream

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 07:22:00 pm »

VPS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vps

I activated antihotlinking in CPanel so there's no leaching going on.

Had to put the gallery offline to keep it stable while I install something. If you wouldn't mind having a look around the gallery to see if there is anything I could change to sort it all out could you PM me and I will give you the admin user & password so you could have a look around? I would really appreciate it.  :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 07:55:31 am »

hotlinking is not the same thing as leeching. Hotlinking means that some other page on the internet may choose not to host pics on their server, but just display pics that are hosted on your server. Leeching is copying parts or the whole content of your page using something like HTTrack (a website copier). Such tools can bring down sites pretty easily. The bot of google images may do a similar thing, you can deny him access using an appropriate meta tag or by policies set up in robots.txt.
There's little point in me looking into this with an admin account, so don't PM me one. Read your server logs and discuss them with your webhost as I suggested.

wuurp

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:54:10 pm »

A VPS just might not be the right place for a popular gallery.

I have a gallery on a 256 mb vps on dual 3.2 Zeons, burstable ram and cpu, and supposedly not oversold, less than the 30 per node like you mentioned. The gallery is the only thing on the vps. Even when I am the only one using the gallery, it's still not what I'd call snappy response.  :'(

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 07:56:20 am »

well, a virtual server just isn't the same thing as a true dedicated server in hardware. As wuurp suggested: the machine your virtual server runs on may be oversold, or there may be another bottleneck (e.g. a bandwidth throttle). Imo you get what you pay for - the webhosting industry has discovered that people think of dedicated servers as fast servers and go for it more easily than a regular webhosting account, but what does access on root level to a virtual machine help you if the virtual machine shares server performance with many other virtual machines? Having pseudo-root control doesn't mean that your machine is going to be fast and powerful. Imo, it just adds points of failure to systems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.