Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: where to post lang corrections?  (Read 6243 times)

futtlui

• Coppermine newbie
where to post lang corrections?
« on: April 02, 2006, 11:39:11 pm »

sorry in case i'm wrong in this category, too...

could somebody please tell me where to post (or what to do) when i've found a mistake in a language-file?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:55:55 pm by Nibbler »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: where to post lang corrections?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:11:19 am »

here, in this very thread you started. If it's a valid report, a moderator will move it accordingly. Another thread where language issues go to is [Help wanted]: Translations for CPG1.4.x

futtlui

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 06:06:21 pm »

okay, i discovered in both, german.php and german_sie.php, there's a blankspace missing in 'verify_email_sent'.
At the moment it says 'EineeMail ...'

A more general mistake i stumbled upon is the fact that everywhere in german language files 'eMail' ist used.
Some might say it's just a question of what looks better and i have to admit 'eMail' looks stylish, but as a matter of fact the correct spelling is 'E-Mail' just like in 'U-Bahn', 'H-Milch' and 'E-Gitarre'.

So i think german Coppermine lang files should comply to Duden style an go for 'E-Mail' - although iPods and other products make believe the lowercase letter would be right.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 09:07:06 pm »

as you pointed out, this is a matter of taste, so you're free to change it as suggested in your copy. I understand that E-Mail is the spelling the Duden considers correct, but for me it's an awful way to "Germanize" a technical term. "U-Bahn" is short for "Untergrundbahn", so it's an abbreviation for an all-german word. Imo "email" is being perceived as an English word still, so I'd rather go for the English spelling "email" then instead of doing as the Duden suggests. Another thing I dislike about the "official" spelling is that words like "E-Mail-Bestätigung" just look silly with two hyphens, as well as "E-Mailbestätigung". That's why I chose the "funny" spelling "eMail". I agree that it's not correct German spelling, but in my eyes "Ketschup" hurts the eyes as well, although it is allowed to be used.
Bottom line: thanks for pointing out the typo, but please let's not start a flame war about such tiny issues as "eMail" vs. "E-Mail".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.