Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPG theme question / suggestion  (Read 4135 times)

lordprodigy

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • B514 ///
CPG theme question / suggestion
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:40:21 pm »

Is there a possibility in the future of splitting the {Gallery} token into separate ones? That would give enormous freedom to do themes by placing elements next to eachother, above, below etc... i.e. something like {album cat}, {thumbails}, {voting}, {comments}, {ImageView}, {Breadcrumbs} etc.

or

Something close to the way mambo/joomla themes are done.. with content placement blocks and in config you can decide which element of your gallery is shown in which content block. All you have to do in theme.php is to play around with your content blocks.

It is just an idea. What do you guys think?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: CPG theme question / suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 08:22:51 pm »

cpgNG will feature SmartyTemplates. Your idea is good though and would be handy for many who have issues, but you have to keep in mind that stuff like voting doesn't appear on all pages, but only on intermediate image display (displayimage.php), though those token would probably add to the confusion when a token will actually be taken into account or not. The token concept comes into play for the sections in theme.php though.

imagine a layout like this
Code: [Select]
<body>
{Breadcrumbs}
  <table>
    <tr>
      <td width="10%">
        {voting}
      </td>
      <td width="60%">
        {ImageView}
      </td>
      <td width="30%">
        {comments}
      </td>
    </tr>
  </table>
</body>
What would happen to the layout on index pages? Funny stuff (or at least a lot of whitespace), don't you agree? So the solution are sub-templates (as this is being done by major BBS apps like SMF or phpBB), which again makes things more complicated for newbies. Either way, you lose: newbie friendliness vs. total freedom of page layout.
The different aspects of this have been discussed on the dev-only boards, with the result that we could possibly only have tokens in template.html for stuff that displays on every coppermine page.

lordprodigy

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • B514 ///
Re: CPG theme question / suggestion
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 10:23:14 pm »

I will take a close look into smarty templates.

You are right about the blank spaces, which is currently the problem with the mambo templating approach because it is still table based. I believe once tables are dropped there is going to be greater felxibility.

I am happy currently with the theming in CPG as I can do what I want to do. But no matter how you turn your template around, a coppermine driven site looks like coppermine.

Thanks for the clarification. Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.