Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-Card sending...  (Read 4348 times)

bizzard

• Coppermine newbie
    • Bizzard's Hackshop
E-Card sending...
« on: March 26, 2006, 12:21:21 pm »

I have 3 suggestions which I hope many users are looking forward from Coppermine.

The first 2 are related to the e-cards. I think, it would be a good step if you introduce a facility to send e-cards at a specific date given by the user. Such a facility will be helpful for users to send e-cards to their beloved ones on their birthday, anniversary or on other special days. Facility to send e-cards at a specific time of a day is also desirable.

The second suggestion is also related to e-cards. It would be nice to introduce bulk e-card sending facility that is, a facility like 'Cc' and 'Bcc' in e-mails. I think it would be better not to restrict the number and should hide the other e-mail addresses to each receiver.

Though these facilities can be very helpful for the users and administrator(As he can wish his customers on specific dates like their birthday and thereby can increase his traffic), three is a drawback that users can misuse this facility. So it would be better to make all these under the control of administrator. I hope many people are looking forward for this and would not be a hard job for you people.

My next suggestion is a 'anycontent' like page which is visible at every part(Not like anycontent which is only visible in the homepage). Now a days, contextual ads like Google and Yahoo, etc are available for the site owners to place. It would be a great help if a facility for placing ads between the other content is made available(Editing theme is a good idea but somewhat troublesome and time consuming.

I hope the next version of Coppermine will come with all these facilities and I express my regards in advance...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:54:41 pm by GauGau »
Bizzard is now happily grazing at Bizzard's Hackshop

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: E-Card sending...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 12:54:21 pm »

I have 3 suggestions which I hope many users are looking forward from Coppermine.
In the future, post "one issue per thread", which makes tracking requests much easier. We have a "one issue per thread" policy that you agreed to respect when signing up.

The first 2 are related to the e-cards. I think, it would be a good step if you introduce a facility to send e-cards at a specific date given by the user. Such a facility will be helpful for users to send e-cards to their beloved ones on their birthday, anniversary or on other special days. Facility to send e-cards at a specific time of a day is also desirable.
The triggering mechanism needed to perform this would be a cron job on Lunix or a scheduled task on Windows. Only a tiny minority of webhosted users has access to such advanced functions, which would render this useless for almost anybody. The other possible event would be a site visit that could trigger the ecard to be sent at a certain date, which would render the functionality useless for sites that have low traffic. For high-traffic sites, it would add load.

The second suggestion is also related to e-cards. It would be nice to introduce bulk e-card sending facility that is, a facility like 'Cc' and 'Bcc' in e-mails. I think it would be better not to restrict the number and should hide the other e-mail addresses to each receiver.
We're reluctant to add in features that would result in even more spam emails being sent around. There have been many similar requests already that all would result in even more emails being sent, addin to the global spam problem. We don't want to be contributors to this disease, that's why features that would result in more emails being sent are being turned down by the dev team.

My next suggestion is a 'anycontent' like page which is visible at every part(Not like anycontent which is only visible in the homepage). Now a days, contextual ads like Google and Yahoo, etc are available for the site owners to place. It would be a great help if a facility for placing ads between the other content is made available(Editing theme is a good idea but somewhat troublesome and time consuming.
Feature already exists - custom_header and custom_footer can be used for this purpose easily. Has been explained in detail already.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.