Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I realize this with Coppermine?  (Read 8506 times)

fotoshopper

• Coppermine novice
Can I realize this with Coppermine?
« on: March 21, 2006, 04:27:21 pm »

I want to realize a PhotoStore with this features:

- over 50.000 pictures
- user can buy pictures in different sizes
- user can automatic download the pictures after paying over services like Paypal or firstgate

First I want to realize this with an e-commerce script like Oscommerce or Virtuemart.There I have the advantages to sell digital downloads, but not the advantages that a PhotoGallery have (Design, Batch ..)

can I realize this with coppermine an special modified Mods?

Thanks for your answer

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Can I realize this with Coppermine?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 04:57:43 pm »

There's a load of paypal mods in the mods section, chose the one that seems to work best for your setup.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 02:12:51 am »

I haven't looked through the Paypal mods thoroughly so I don't know if any have a download option.  If not, I cannot see how that would be difficult to implement.  I have written a plugin that restricts full-sized photos access to groups you select.  I'm not sure if you want to set up some sort of group for each Paypal order so the user can come back & download the photos purchased whenever or if you want the downloads only available at the time of the order.  Or you can have download links directly to the photos instead of using Coppermine features like showing all the photos purchased in an album.  These are the kind of details you need to specify in order for someone to lend a hand in how to implement what you want.  Each case has different code required in different scripts.

One important thing to keep in mind is that unless you do something special, people can download the full-sized photos if they figure out the URL which is not very difficult from looking at the "normal"-sized image and knowing how Coppermine stores images.  You need to set up something like an .htaccess rule for preventing hot-linking to the image files.  Or you can use randomized filenames, either for the normal images or the full-sized images (or both).

cornelp

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 02:15:38 pm »

I have been lookin for something like this as well. Many of the SHOP MODS here are excellent and work outstanding, but one thing that is missing is the download after pay option. With Paver's plugin, for now U can restrict access to the images. Once the user pays, U can give em access to those restricted areas, but again thats something where the user HAS to wait until U make those access changes, which is something that many may NOT want to wait for.

Maybe someone could make/change one of the mods here, that will give the user access to a download link after payment is made. That would be an EXCELLENT mod.

I hope someone will be able to do this in the NEAR FUTURE. Until such time, create a Gallery where only registered users have access and charge those users a certain $ PER MONTH, and they can download all the Pics if needed. Its not a GOOD IDEA, but its  start for now, lol.

Hopefully someone will have the time and care to make a mod or change one that will do this.

I second this request.

THANK YOU

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 08:10:49 pm »

cornelp: That's what I was trying to figure out from those who want such a download after pay option: how exactly you want to do this.  I see a few options (I'm sure others exist):

• Give download links immediately after payment - links to the photos themselves so Coppermine is not used to frame the photos.  The links would have to be carefully set up so that the person could not guess links to other photos (not paid for).  These links would always work since they are to the actual photos.
  • Set up an album of paid-for photos for the user in Coppermine with copies of the photos.  Set up the permission for this new album for the user only (which requires in the current Coppermine to set up a one-user group and use this group as the permission).
  • Set up a per-photo user permission system (possibly based on my plugin) so the user can access full-size photos while browsing albums and will see other photos in the same album which might be enticing to purchase later.  So that the user can easily see what they paid for, set up a keyword for photos paid for and set up a new album after payment with linked photos to the keyword-ed photos.

These are 3 possibilities off the top of my head.  As you can see, the details is where all the time & effort is.  I understand that you or others may not know enough about the internals of Coppermine to provide the nitty-gritty details, but you can still provide the user-level details of how a "download after pay" system would work.  Think very specifically about details such as these:
  • how the user selects photos or entire albums
  • how the user pays
  • what the user sees immediately after payment
  • how long the user can access paid-for photos
  • how the user accesses paid-for photos
  • how you protect not-paid-for photos from all users

The Paypal mods you are using or have tried may take care of the first 2 items but if so, say so.  Specify precisely what the user who is buying photos sees & does and what the administrator sees & does in setting up the system.  There are so many possibilities that makes it untenable for anyone to help who is not going to use this himself/herself.

Keep in mind that this is a voluntary community where everyone puts in time & effort for free so that not all requests may be filled and time frames are not set for assistance.

fotoshopper

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 12:32:51 am »

That´s a long way to get the right system for the own particular wishes.

Since a long time I searching for a system, which have all the functions that you are suggested Paver.

I´am tested Image galleries with different mods like 4images or Gallery2 and shopsystems like oscommerce.

No I´am in a testing period with Virtuemart. A shopping System that can only use with the CMS Joomla.
With Virtuemart I can sell digital Downloads (also pictures in diifferent sizes) and the customers can directly download the pictures after they pay with paypal or other payment systems. The Customer get an code via E-Mail.

Virtuemart is nice but only a shopsystem. It is very difficult to present a lot of pictures. And I don´t know how it works with over 50.000 Products.

I have a look around for a solution. In the E-Commerce market there are many solutions for example the following, which looks a little bit like Coppermine, or?
http://www.lightboxphoto.com/gallery_software_pro_demo/index.php

Greetings

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 01:21:18 am »

If you want to use another product, that's fine.  I haven't used any other systems, so I cannot compare or recommend anything besides Coppermine.  You can implement anything you like in Coppermine, it just takes time & effort (and certain skills of course).

I will probably be working on a Paypal download plugin in the next few weeks for someone else.  Most likely, I will be able to contribute it on the plugins board.  Since I am looking ahead to doing this, I replied to your thread here to gather more information about what other people expect in such a system. 

fotoshopper

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 01:46:00 am »

I want to use Coppermine and so I´m wait for your paypla specification.

saturn

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 07:06:01 pm »

Hi,

I was wondering if you had any more info on the paypal download plugin> I have searched everywhere

thanks

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 07:11:13 pm »

For my part, the job was put off but not cancelled.  So I may still work on it some day, I just don't know when.

Others are welcome to take the ball and run with it . . .

jesphoto

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 03:30:10 am »

As much as I like the Coppermine - I had to set-up the zencart shop where buyer can go to paypal, pay for picture and come back and download the picture. It is set-up at http://www.jesphoto.net. and works fine, but it is ugly form. I preffer the Coppermine design and futures, but time it is what all we do not have too much. I would gladly switch back to Coppermine when the paypal module will be available and work as good as Zencart.
Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.