Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's my server?  (Read 7363 times)

Orlando-D

• Coppermine novice
What's my server?
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:29:52 pm »

Hi,
I have an MSN group, and I would like to add an Coppermine Gallery.
I have read your FAQ and you've said, I should upload the files, I've downloaded on the download page to my server. But is MSN my server, and where should I create a folder to upload?

I have contacted the people of MSN, but they said I should contact you guys. So plz reply, and also check out my site, maybe that will help a little.

http://groups.msn.com/amyleerockfaerie
or www.amyleerockfaerie.2ya.com
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:58:48 pm by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Orlando-D

• Coppermine novice
Re: What's my server?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 03:43:17 pm »

I've decided to go with this server --> http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/iis/default.mspx

but what next? The site is so....   :-\??? I dunno
they don't have a FAQ page like you guys have, and I don't understand if I should download something, or become a member. Plz help me!  :'(

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:48:58 pm »

Orlando-D

• Coppermine novice
Help me find a server!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 05:19:48 pm »

Hi,
Before I ask my question, let me say this:

I know that there have been so many other messages on this topic of mine, but could someone (or more people) please reply. And to the moderator, please don’t lock this message until my questions are answered!

Can someone give advise on a server to use for Coppermine Gallery.
Please don’t send me the link to the FAQ page. I’ve read that a million times over and over.

Tell me which server you use. Send me the link to the server.
Tell me precisely what you had to do. Where you had to register. Or had to download something. Or email the manager/moderators of the servers.
Also after you got your server, where did you had to upload the files you’ve downloaded from Coppermine.

Please people start mailing, because I really need a gallery for my site. I have more then 5000 pics, which I need to upload, so please help me.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:50:39 pm by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Help me find a server!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 05:50:09 pm »

OK, by looking at the way you ask this question it's quite obvious that you are a newbie when it comes to webhosting. To make this clear: what you need is not a webserver software on your PC, as self-hosting is only recommended for very experienced people who have spent years running and maintaining a server. What you actually need is a webhost: this is someone (a company usually) that houses the server and manages their connection to the internet. They have the experience to do so. They protect you from your server getting hacked. You pay them for their service. There can't be a general recommendation on what webhost to sign up with, as this depends on your location and what you plan to do with your website. Take a look at the threads "Web Hosting for Coppermine photo Album?" and "Free web host supporting the Copermine requirements". It wouldn't have been asked too much from you to read those threads even before posting.

If you insist on having your own server on your local PC it would make sense that you post your OS, CPU speed, memory and free hard drive size etc.
Simply because you want a server it doesn't mean that you'll be able to get one up-and-running. I want to fly to Mars, however no matter how hard I try I doubt that I will ever be able to build my own spaceship. The only thing I could possibly to is applying for a job @ NASA. In the meantime, I'll keep watching SF movies.

The way you ask your question shows little respect for the supporters: you seem to have realized that this question has been asked and answered before and is invalid, yet still you insist that people look into your particular issue. I suggest you review your attitude. This board is not meant for discussing hosting issues nor is it dedicated to help people set up their own webserver. Instead, this whole site is meant for coppermine issues only. Yours is not a coppermine issue, so it is simply invalid. We don't care what server you use, ,it's none of your business. Our only advice is not to go for self-hosting at all, with such little knowledge as you have.

The other thread you started didn't get locked, so you could have replied to it. You have been told there where to find webhosting. Merging this thread with the other one you started >:(.

Joachim
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:58:28 pm by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:40:33 pm »

Amy Lee Rock Faerie by PM:
Hi,
I just wanted to say that you have offended me!
I’m not inexperienced or an amateur.
I’ve been building websites for 2 years now. I have for myself 5 (good running) websites and I’ve helped a lot on many other websites. So please don’t tell me that I’m a newbie.
I also host, manage and design my own site. No help from others. Not even a company.

All I wanted to was a gallery for my site. On my site I can use a gallery, but it goes with storage space. One of the website is a site about a band, and I have a lot of pics I want to upload.

All I wanted was advice and tips and you treated me impolite and rude. That isn’t a way to handle or speak to a client, or someone who seeks your support. You could have just nicely explained to me what you wanted to say.

I’ve decided to contact an local internet company here, and ask for their support.
Anyway, I would like you to delete all my topics. The two I’ve started.
and I’ll remain in silence from now one!

PS: sorry I had to PM you!

I decided to post the PM and my replies publicly, as it doesn't contain sensitive data:

I’m not inexperienced or an amateur.
I’ve been building websites for 2 years now. I have for myself 5 (good running) websites and I’ve helped a lot on many other websites. So please don’t tell me that I’m a newbie.
I also host, manage and design my own site. No help from others. Not even a company.
If you're not a newbie, then why do you ask for advice on what server to use? Use the one you're familiar with if you already have hosting experience. Being a newbie isn't bad in itself though.
You have to understand that being a designer or coder doesn't make you a server admin.

That isn’t a way to handle or speak to a client
You're not a client, as neither I nor anybody else here is getting paid.

Anyway, I would like you to delete all my topics.
We don't delete threads, as the whole point of having a forum is that postings remain visible for others as reference.

PS: sorry I had to PM you!
You didn't have to. You could have posted publicly as well ::).

If you wanted a recommendation, you should have done as I requested and posted details about the machine you were going to use as a server
If you insist on having your own server on your local PC it would make sense that you post your OS, CPU speed, memory and free hard drive size etc.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.