Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right Click Protection  (Read 3919 times)

nontekkyguy

• Coppermine regular visitor
Right Click Protection
« on: March 15, 2006, 05:29:27 am »

Though most posts on this topic are older, I got an email from a good friend that doesn't believe  right-click disabling javascripts work in the long-run.  I found a simple solution, well actually 2. There is digital watermarking (which isn't free), and then watermarking your images. Has anyone started work on a hack for the next upgrade that will batch add watermarks?  Is this even possible?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 05:58:50 pm by GauGau »
learning requires patience; teaching requires more

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Right Click Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:54:33 am »

It's not likely to be included in core. There are mods here and a plugin at http://cpg-contrib.org

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:43:53 am »

I agree with your friend about trying to disable right-clicking. It may work for the casual user but anyone who knows what's going on or someone who disables javascript in their browser will get your photos anyway. Here's a link to some scripts that provide other methods and depending on what you want to accomplish and the level of concern you have, they may prove useful. I do know that one (sorry, forgot which one) interfers with the operation of CPG's popup window. http://copy-not.com/

Personally, I think watermarking is the best method but if you want people to send ecards, you have to make sure the mark doesn't distract from the photo too much. This has been and always will be an ongoing issue with posting photos on the net. I'm looking into integrating something like a Flash image viewer, http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/ but I'm a long way off and will need to enlist some help as it's out of my coding experience. Of course this has it problems too such as dumping a screenshot but it's better than working around javascript IMHO.

Cheers,

Billy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 03:06:32 am by Gizmo »
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.
Billy Bullock - BullsEyePhotos Blog of Indecision

nontekkyguy

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 05:28:36 pm »

I agree. I'm more inclined to work with Flash than JAVA script. I'd like to recommend a book (if anyone wants to spend the cash) that is really helping me, "Flash Foundation" by Kristian Besley and Sham Bhangal and Amanda Farr.  I plan on incorporating cpg with the flash side of my site, perhaps for now just a frameset. Also there is a watermarking program (no, not free) that bulk watermarks photos and also resizes them accordingly. If anyone wants to know the name of it just contact me. As a professional photographer, I think it's worth it in the longrun to protect one's work product.
learning requires patience; teaching requires more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.