Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch Upload Performance  (Read 4140 times)

Breach

• Coppermine newbie
Batch Upload Performance
« on: September 25, 2004, 02:11:45 pm »

Hello and greetings!

A comment and a suggestion somewhat -- Batch uploading 200 2 MB images turned out to be quite a nightmare - 4 ImageMagick convert processes, which did a great job at generating a 40 load average and practically rendering my server non-operative ;-)

So. Why not - Why not modify the php to actually nice convert, say nice 5 or 10 the convert? Maybe even add it to options - so that people who don't have a dedicated coppermine machine actually use it for other things in the meantime?

Thanks!

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Batch Upload Performance
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 06:15:43 pm »

Hmmm, 2MB pictures?  I'm sure you've noticed other posts about our thoughts on large file sizes.  It's always better to resize your images before uploading, especially since you're the admin and are the only one who has the ability to batch add.  Personally, since I have many visitors that are on dial-up connections I resize my images to 640x480 and keep the file sizes under 40kb when possible.

This isn't a support issue, so I'll move it to the features request board. 
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Breach

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 04:48:01 pm »

Yes, I do see your point, but still...:

1. I would rather have originals on the web, so that I can have good print-quality originals available from anywhere
2. I have a private network, I upload everything via a local 100 Mbps LAN, so speed in my case is not an issue
3. It is *nix's fault (and ImageMagick's too) for being too slow in converting pics
4. And last, of course, I do think such functionality (nicing the converts) is really mandatory

Thanks.

P.S. to the not so technically proficient user
'nicing' - the ability of UNIX to assign priority to a process - thus if other services request resources in the meantime, the 'niced' process will give some of its resources away, in order to maintain a responsive environment - otherwise (e.g. in this case) 4 running convert process practically kill a box.

shan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 06:29:46 am »

I 100% agree with Breach.  Coppermine is the best I have seen out there and overall rocks.  If there was one thing I would like to see changed, however, it is the method by which the Batch Add works.  I can see it being important for those running on a dedicated system to have the Batch add covert as many images at once if possible, but for those of us running this on a server that is not dedicated or hosting, it is extremely important that we know users cannot kill the server with Batch Add.  Currently, I am having to restrict my clients from runnin Coppermine in their accounts for this reason and, becuase I beleive it is the best, I would love to be able to point them to CM instead of away from it.

Please, oh please, put in some feature that allows us to restrict the number of images converted at a time.  If it is possible, it would also be nice to change the batch add process so it would add files in smaller batches instead of the large group, resulting in timeouts in many cases.

Keep up the great work with the Gallery!  It truly rocks.

lancefiasco

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • http://www.gcfiasco.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 07:13:59 pm »

'Batch add' is not friendly to the server at all, and this is causing big problems for us.  Is there anything that can be done?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.