Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help SMTP problem  (Read 8112 times)

torete43

• Coppermine newbie
Help SMTP problem
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:13:34 pm »

Sorry for my english and congratulations for Coppermine

Recently I created a web photo album for my friends and I using coppermine. Everything works ok except email feature.The web is allocated on a free webspace (www.byethost.com) but they suspend SMTP services due to spam abuses, so im trying configure email feature from an external working smtp server. I have tried yahoo gmail and teleline (spanish provider). They all works, actually teleline is where i have my email account and it is fully operative cause i use outlook every day, so my questions are: Am i doing something wrong? can u use an external smpt for coppermine or its needed to be the smtp server from you webhost? Has somebody reached email feature working with an external smtp server? Which one? usually smtp servers require authentication but there are no options in email configuration in coppermine for authentication , can be that part of the problem?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Spain! :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:53:17 am by GauGau »

Nibbler

Re: Help SMTP problem
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 04:24:06 pm »

Enter the SMTP server and autentication details on the config page. Your host may not permit connections to external SMTP servers, although this is supported by Coppermine. When it comes to web hosting you get what you pay for.

torete43

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 07:38:55 pm »

i've done that. go to config page and type in email configuration my smtp server (ie smtp.gmail.com) my username and pass, but doesn't work. no emails received. its strange cause when i send a ecard it appears inmediatly the screen: "send succesfully" but i think there must be a screen with "connecting, sending, etc" Am i right?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 09:45:56 am »

hehe, google mail certainly won't be relaying for you. Your server needs smtp support itself, you can't use a freemail account.

^DooM^

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 01:33:36 pm »

torete43.

Check out www.dyndns.org if you do not own your own domain and DNS server. You can setup an email server on your machine and use dyndns to handle the MX records for you.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 05:39:18 pm »

that's not recommended at all for newbies. The global spam problem is to a great extent caused by people running their own servers without knowing how to set it up savely. Don't run your own server publicly unless you really, really know what you're doing.

filmarte

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 06:05:17 pm »

Hi, I have the same problem with SMTP server to use with e-cards in coopermine gallery, i guess this could help to configure G-mail as a smtp server?:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/tonyhughes/599

cu.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 10:40:08 am »

I strongly doubt that Google will relay for you.

filmarte

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 06:32:09 pm »

Ok, Lets put it simple terms..

Do you know a free webhosting that Coopermine gallery works?

Coul you suggest at least one?

Because i asked to my webhost and they said that SMTP is off, and most free webhosting are the same.
So, Does Coopermine Gallery works on free webhosting at all?
 ???

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 07:42:50 pm »

So, Does Coopermine Gallery works on free webhosting at all?
I don't know nor care - imo you get what you pay for. If you can't afford paid webhost, then you don't need a homepage imo and should use free services like Flickr instead.
However, feel free to review the sticky thread dedicated to free webhosting Free web host supporting the Copermine requirements and pick one of those webhosts that have been reported to fulfill the minimum requirements. Keep in mind that this is subject to frequent changes - webhosts may offer free webhosting for a limited period only.

filmarte

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 09:38:49 pm »

Thanks for your help, i appreciate your fast answer in this topic, and i will keep using this great application software !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.