Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User Registration Emails are empty! Help!  (Read 5213 times)

Informator

• Coppermine newbie
    • University of Birmingham Guild Musical Theatre Group
User Registration Emails are empty! Help!
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:38:40 pm »

I've using Coppermine for a while now and was just about to go live when a strange thing happened. I started receiving empty emails from CPG. They were properly addressed and the from name and email address were fine, but there is no title and no content to the email, just a blank page. I have checked the user module in admin and can conclude these are meant to be registration request emails.

I recently hacked the registraion email to include the email address of the user, and it has worked fine. I didn't change anything whatsoever in the install, it just started doing this randomly. Displaying full headers reveals not much I can understand, though I paste them here for reference anyway. I haven't fiddled with the mail server or anything either. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? It's obviously very important that I get this sorted before going live, especialyl as activating via the user admin panel doesn't send an email to the user (I believe). Any help would be hugely appreciated!

These are the headers from one of the successful emails:
Code: [Select]
Return-Path: <webmaster@gmtg.org>
Delivered-To: gmtgorga-webmaster@gmtg.org
Received: (qmail 40815 invoked by uid 1903); 18 Feb 2006 14:40:14 -0000
Received: from 127.0.0.1 by host333.ipowerweb.com (envelope-from <webmaster@gmtg.org>, uid 80) with qmail-scanner-1.25st
 (clamdscan: 0.88/1235. spamassassin: 3.1.0. perlscan: 1.25st. 
 Clear:RC:1(127.0.0.1):SA:0(0.6/5.0):.
 Processed in 0.167935 secs); 18 Feb 2006 14:40:14 -0000
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.6 required=5.0
To: webmaster@gmtg.org
Subject: GMTG Photo Gallery - Registration request
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 06:40:14 -0800
Message-ID: <1a8382db0860eae88dcdf0c9ee3ab9c5@gmtg.org>
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.72]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="b1_1a8382db0860eae88dcdf0c9ee3ab9c5"

These are the headers from one of the broken emails:

Code: [Select]
Return-Path: <webmaster@gmtg.org>
Delivered-To: gmtgorga-webmaster@gmtg.org
Received: (qmail 3916 invoked by uid 1903); 3 Mar 2006 16:18:59 -0000
Received: from 127.0.0.1 by host333.ipowerweb.com (envelope-from <webmaster@gmtg.org>, uid 80) with qmail-scanner-1.25st
 (clamdscan: 0.88/1235. spamassassin: 3.1.0. perlscan: 1.25st. 
 Clear:RC:1(127.0.0.1):SA:0(2.2/5.0):.
 Processed in 0.145285 secs); 03 Mar 2006 16:18:59 -0000
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=2.2 required=5.0
X-Spam-Level: ++
To: webmaster@gmtg.org
Subject:
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:18:59 -0800
Message-ID: <4216fadbb19b196365fac18c61449fdc@gmtg.org>
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.72]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 11:29:28 pm by GauGau »
"Accept everything about yourself - and I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end - no apologies, no regrets." -Clark Moustakas

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: User Registration Emails are empty! Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:53:07 am »

link?

Informator

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 12:33:29 am »

The site is at http://www.gmtg.org/gallery/. Excuse the rubbish CSS. I have recently successfully upgraded to 1.4.4 and even with a fresh copy of the files the problem remains.
"Accept everything about yourself - and I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end - no apologies, no regrets." -Clark Moustakas

Informator

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 03:59:49 pm »

I hate to bump, but I'm really at my wits end with this. ??? ??? When I change the language to anything else, it works perfectly. When I use English, the registration requests are empty. I've tried re-uploading a fresh copy of english.php, copying and pasting it via a web interface, and anything else I can think of. But still the problem persists. I can't believe this will necessitate a re-install, and I am desperate to avoid that, having spent upwards of 12 hours modifying the settings, installing pics, etc. Does anyone have any idea at all?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 08:09:28 am »

hard to say anything, as you have admin approval turned on for registration. Can't look into this, as I don't get an email, but you.

Informator

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 03:00:21 pm »

This is the strangest thing.

I received your registration request email today. It was in perfect English, as it should be. I hadn't changed a thing. Thus, I can conclude that either:

a) There's something wrong with my browser / cookies / etc which is for some reason generating blank emails when I do test registrations.
b) GauGau, you are in fact the the living embodiment of CPG godliness, and have somehow managed to influence the software back to working order merely by your presence.
c) Both of the above.

I shall do some more investigations on other systems, browsers, etc, and report back my findings. But thank you, most sincerely, for your reply. I wouldn't mark this solved jsut yet, but I shall do some more investigations immediately and report back.

You are my new idol GauGau ;D

Informator

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 10:47:13 pm »

I'm really sorry to do this, but this problem is not yet solved.

After testing the empty emails thing on a fresh system, all worked, as explained above. I booted up today and the empty email problem was reoccurring. I tried replacing the english.php file with a fresh copy, but still no help. I returned the modified english.php to the folder, which had worked yesterday but not today.

I then tested it on yet another fresh system. This time the emails worked. So I tried clearing all cookies from the previous system, then registering again. Still, empty emails. I cleared all cookies from the latter (working) system, rebooted, and used different browsers. This worked.

As far as I can ascertain, the problem seems to occur only after a system has already visited the site. How, or why, this happens, I cannot tell. I will invite more users to sign up and see what happens. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be or how I can investigate further?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.