Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No access to db, backup question  (Read 9812 times)

IamDeirdre

• Coppermine newbie
No access to db, backup question
« on: March 09, 2006, 10:57:59 pm »

There was a post a while back that had to do with the issue of creating a mod or plugin for backing up the Coppermine database (The post was a couple years old, and now I can't find it, or I would link it).

Has anything ever come of that idea? I've searched all over and I can't seem to find anything.

I made a HUGE mistake and used GoDaddy's "Value Applications" to install a copy of Coppermine. Now I can't get ANY access to the database. No PhpMyAdmin, no dumps, nothing, GoDaddy is absolutely useless as far as this is concerned. The only way I could back up my data would be from something internal. I did try Mysqldumper, and it can't access the mysql either (they block the ports).

I've invested many days uploading and keywording over 500 pictures, and I'd really hate to have to do it all over. I want to switch to Bluehost where they give you total access, but I'd hate to lose all that work.

Oh and a warning to anyone considering GoDaddy for anything that involves MySQL, DON'T DO IT! Try Bluehost or 1and1 instead. (My 2¢)

I saw this in the News Box:

Remove relocate_server.php file from your website
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:09:59 PM »

If you installed 1.4.2 or any 1.4 betas, you have a file called relocate_server.php in your root Coppermine directory.  You need to remove this file as soon as possible.  This file is designed to assist when moving from one server to another.  It allows the user to view the information in config.inc.php, but doesn't ask for any authentication.  If you have this file on your server your MySQL database information is available for anyone who executes the script.

If so, where could I find a copy of relocate_server.php? Apparently I don't have it. My install version is 1.42.

Thanks!
Deirdre

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: No access to db, backup question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:30:39 am »

relocate_server.php came with cpg1.4.2, so you should have it, however it won't solve your issues. If you want to take a look for yourself, get it from the cvs.
For database backups we recommend using phpMyAdmin or mySqlDumper.
The old backup thread you were looking for was a request for help that never has been successfully coded.

IamDeirdre

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 06:01:39 pm »

For database backups we recommend using phpMyAdmin or mySqlDumper.
The old backup thread you were looking for was a request for help that never has been successfully coded.

Yes I know I've been reading as much info on this as I could find, but as I stated in my above post, I am not allowed access to the mySQL database, not through MyphpAdmin or MySQLdumper. I have tried both, I called GoDaddy and they basically said I was ummm out of luck. GoDaddy says they use virtual databases and only their admins have access to it.

So basically if I want to update, backup, move to another server there is almost no way to do it. They charge $50 for their admins to do a dump, so I'm very frustrated.

And that's why I was asking about there being a mod or plugin solution. I guess I'm S.O.L. I'm basically a php/mysql noob (I'm trying to learn), so if anyone has a ideas you would really make my day!
Deirdre

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 06:20:08 pm »

well, if coppermine has access to retrieve data from the database (i.e. coppermine is up-and-running), then database tools like phpMyAdmin should have access as well. If your coppermine install doesn't work due to database issues, then there can't be a tool to retrieve the db data. Imo godaddy sucks, we've heard complaints from other users as well - considering the fact that it's paid webhosting and that they have a big market share.
I'm sorry, I can't recommend anything else - if your content is that important to you, you'll have to pay for the dump by godaddy I'm afraid.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 09:30:22 am »

When looking at the $50 fee, consider how much your time is worth to spend it redoing your gallery. It would seem like a bargain in comparison...

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 09:47:13 pm »

Hi Deirdre,

I use GoDaddy (ALOT) and have never had such issues. They offer hosting services but you are responsible for maintaining the files, databases and programs which you place on the server. If they were to supply all this maintainance then they (and any other hosting company) would charge much more for these services. Now with that said, I've used the "Value Applications" to install Coppermine the first time over a year ago. What I remember is that YOU still have to create and setup the MySQL database which is not done automatically when installing Coppermine. This was pointed out in the documentation. So what I think you are having issues is that YOU forgot (or didn't write down) your User Name and Password for your database. This is not the same as your GoDaddy Account Name and Password.

I have accessed and added tables to several of my Coppermine MySQL databases using phpMyAdmin which is already installed with the GoDaddy hosting accounts. I am very surprised that GoDaddy even said they could get the backup for you which I'm not sure they can (or should). I have since installed several Coppermine systems for myself and other people with GoDaddy and NEVER had any issues. Of course, the Coppermine installer on GoDaddy is most likely an older version and I now upgrade or install Coppermine from the software that I get directly from the Coppermine website.

So think hard and try to remember your username and password for your database. I'm sure that this will also be the case with hosting Coppermine on Bluehost or 1and1.

Cheers,

Billy
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.
Billy Bullock - BullsEyePhotos Blog of Indecision

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 09:50:12 pm »

If Gizmo is right and you just forgot your mySQL data, look it up in include/config.inc.php

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 10:01:28 pm »

I just downloaded the include/config.inc.php and it certainly contains the info to log into my Coppermine database. Hopefully this is what you need.
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.

IamDeirdre

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 03:09:59 pm »

So what I think you are having issues is that YOU forgot (or didn't write down) your User Name and Password for your database. This is not the same as your GoDaddy Account Name and Password.

I have accessed and added tables to several of my Coppermine MySQL databases using phpMyAdmin which is already installed with the GoDaddy hosting accounts. I am very surprised that GoDaddy even said they could get the backup for you which I'm not sure they can (or should). I have since installed several Coppermine systems for myself and other people with GoDaddy and NEVER had any issues. Of course, the Coppermine installer on GoDaddy is most likely an older version and I now upgrade or install Coppermine from the software that I get directly from the Coppermine website.

No, I don't have access to the "Value Application" mysql installation. Perhaps they have changed it since you installed it, but the whole process including creating the database was done by the install. After it was done, all I had to do was go to the url and log in as Admin. I have called GoDaddy twice about this, no access to users, tough luck.

I do have access to the databases I create, and they are taken from my allotment of dbs. Example, I get 25 mysql databases, I am currently using only 1 for an unrelated project, I could install every single "Value application" they have and they won't take up a single 1 of my dbs.  I know I can find my username and password in the config file, I used it when I tried out MySQLdumper, they have blocked the ports, I can't get into it.

If I had installed Coppermine myself this wouldn't be a problem, I would have almost complete access to it (Except GoDaddy won't give Lock and Unlock priviledges to users if you are on shared hosting). I took the shortcut using their installer and now I see my mistake, but it wasn't forgetting the username and password to the db. Just to clarfiy.
Deirdre

Nibbler

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 05:07:16 pm »

Can't you install phpmyadmin, set it up with the cpg db info and use that for your backup ?

IamDeirdre

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 06:56:52 pm »

I would love it if that worked, but alas I can't get it to. I enter the info into the setup but I get "#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)"

Here is the message I got from GoDaddy:
Dear Deirdre D.,
Thanks for contacting customer support. Unfortunately, the database resides on a virtual directory and cannot be accessed. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Sincerely,
Tim P.
Customer Service Representative

I've now tried entering the info from config.inc.php into MySQLDumper and MyphpAdmin. I'm pretty much at a dead end, but I appreciate the suggestions. I can get the dump, then I'll have to install a earlier version, use the dump then upgrade. Thanks for the responses. Hopefully this will serve as a warning to anyone else considering using GoDaddy's Value Applications, use at your own risk.
Deirdre

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 03:35:30 pm »

Sorry to hear that you're having these troubles. You know things are looking bright when I open Digg.com this morning and this is the top story http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mysqlscript.htm. I hope this helps out in some small way.

:-\

Billy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.