Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upload limitations.  (Read 3351 times)

finnbogg

• Coppermine newbie
upload limitations.
« on: March 01, 2006, 10:11:58 am »

I am failry new to web creations and all these things that require Abbreviations "php,sql,etc etc."  I have service through powweb and they offered this coppermine photo gallery thing for the "MYSQL" section. I have played around with it and have found it very interesting. I like the wide range of abilities it has to offer."albums,catagories, permissions,registration,large types of files etc etc" Just when Ithought it was all to good to be true... I hit something that I find hard to understand. "UPLOAD LIMITATIONS".   I purchased the service with powweb. I bought the large space powweb offers, I bought the larger gig per month transfer, I bought the comcast highspeed internet, I bought the FTP program.  So why is there a 60 sec upload limitation..... and why do my home videos have to be smaller than 2mb?   Why cant I have a 10 mb video uploaded onto "MY" space that "I" purchased.    IM confussed deeply about this.  Im not storing anything at coppermind. Im not transfering data through coppermind.  If IM missing something please explain.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: upload limitations.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 10:41:15 am »

read the coppermine docs. You (as gallery admin) should FTP-upload plus batch-add. Additionally, post a link to your page.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 05:05:56 pm »

Well, the upload limitation is kind of like legal speed limits. I mean, I pay for my car, the gas that makes it run, the taxes that go to road construction... why can't I drive 100+ mph whenever I want? But since I have to share the road with others who aren't so fast (mentally or car-wise), I am limited by the speed limit.

Uploading large files via http uses server resources. On a shared server, resource allocation must be put in check so that no single account can overwhelm the server to the detriment of other accounts.

The upload limitation is set by your webhost, anyway, so no point in complaining to us about it.

finnbogg

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:04:35 pm »

no its not my host that made this rule it is in the coppermine documents. I 12 gig of space and 300gig per month transfer.  the rules was made by coppermine. beside  I found out that the rule is for non admin persons any way. I as admin can use the batch file and it works perfectly for betting the limits

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:11:37 pm »

http uploads limit is a server-sided limitation and a client (browser!) sided limitation as well, not a coppermine limitation. Of course this doesn't apply for FTP-uploads (the FTP protocol was exactly made for this purpose, while the http protocol wasn't). Don't draw false conclusions just because you don't understand the background technology.
I told you to post a link to your page - this was not just for fun: you shouldn't have posted in this section of the board in the first place (the words "no support" should ring a bell!), so I asked for a link to your page so a moderator could move this thread. If you fail to do as suggested, you won't receive answers at all...

finnbogg

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 06:10:18 pm »

the link to my site is www.gallery.studios9.com/gallery       and as far asw knowing where to send this thread...... I have no idea what section to put it in. Your catagories have a bunch abbreviations  cpg this and cpg that. Ihave no Idea what all that is or what its for. I simply have some questions about the operations. I have read the documentations. If I had understood most of it. I wouldnt be here asking for some simple answers. My questions are "trig" to me, but  "2+2" to you. For instance the other post I made about album passwords,Groups. and such.

Nibbler

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:18:07 pm »

You are running Coppermine (cpg) 1.4 and you have a question about uploading, so it belongs in cpg1.4 upload
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.