Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug with GD on Mac OS X  (Read 4157 times)

chtito

• VIP
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I run Mac OS X, despite the penguin ;)
Bug with GD on Mac OS X
« on: January 04, 2004, 01:14:32 pm »

Hi!

I installed PHP v.4.3.3 from the entropy.ch distribution http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/ and there seems to be a huge leak that makes it almost impossible to batch add too many photo (like more than 50).

On the other hand everything works smoothly with ImageMagick (which can also be found from entropy.ch), provided that its path is provided with a trailing slash!  :!: (eg. /usr/local/bin/).

cheers
Vous pouvez poser vos questions en français sur le forum francophone !

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Bug with GD on Mac OS X
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 10:36:32 pm »

I don't get the point... How's this related to Coppermine?

GauGau

chtito

• VIP
Bug with GD on Mac OS X
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 11:15:54 pm »

Well... let me be more specific then. This is a piece of advice to the Mac OS X users using Coppemine:

Use ImageMagick and not GD!

I don't know exactly why, but it uses far less memory. Perhaps i'm wrong about the memory leak.

I post this here because many users use ImageMagick or GD only in relation with Coppermine. Moreover Coppermine uses these libraries in a very cpu and memory consuming way (especially during batch adds) which makes it crucial to choose the right library (GD or IM).

Is it clearer now?

cheers

AutomatikStudios

• Coppermine newbie
Bug with GD on Mac OS X
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 12:47:59 am »

I thought IM and GD were server-side? Or are you talking about OS X as a server?
BanterBoards.com - Who needs to be productive when you can waste time like this?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Bug with GD on Mac OS X
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 09:27:07 am »

well, of course there are differences between GD and IM, but this is clearly "server setup", not coppermine related. You won't start an argument on crowded streets with a car dealer when buying a new car...

GauGau

chtito

• VIP
Bug with GD on Mac OS X
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 11:40:52 am »

Yes i meant for Mac OS X users using OS X as a server.

This is coppermine related because coppermine seems to fire up many processes at the same time to create the resized photos and this is precisely what causes me all the trouble.

So let me be more specific:

For people using mac os x as a server for Coppermine i would suggest them to prefer ImageMagick to GD.

Even more specific: i have no idea whether GD or IM is better in general. But for me, with coppermine, IM is clearly better than GD.

Furthermore, i certainly don't wish to start any kind of argument here! This is just my two cents worth of advice. If this post is not relevant for this forum then please remove it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.