Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Port to Java  (Read 21319 times)

jl_monteagudo

• Coppermine newbie
Port to Java
« on: February 24, 2006, 05:50:57 pm »

Hello friends,

only one question ?

Do you know if there is any clone of Coppermine for Java ?

I've a portal where all the application has been developed with Java, and I would like to add a photo gallery section and I would like something like Coppermine, the problem for me is that Coppermine is developed in PHP, so do you know if I can use something like Coppermine but developed in Java ? If the response is no, is there any possibility to port Coppermine to Java ?

Thank you very much

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:37:37 pm by kegobeer »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Port to Java
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 05:59:30 pm »

No. Same answer as here: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=18449.0

Just replace asp with java.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 08:37:09 pm »

This isn't really a feature request.  If you would like Coppermine in Java, you'll have to find a coder that's willing to convert PHP to Java.

Moved to a more appropriate board.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

jl_monteagudo

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:19:16 pm »

Thanks for your responses.

I've enough experience programming with Java. Could be more or less easy to develop a similar project in Java ? Could I have some help about the internal structure of Coppermine ? If I decide to try that, could somebody help me ???

Thank you very much

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 01:44:54 am »

Coppermine is open-source, so you have all the internal structure of Coppermine fully visible.  If you don't know PHP, then there is really no sense in trying to port Coppermine.  You could create a Java photo gallery application that acts like Coppermine, but for that all you need to do is to use Coppermine and code your own application.  If you know Java well, you can learn PHP very easily.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 06:01:53 am »

Doesn't jalbum use java or jsp? Sorry, I don't know them except that they start with J. I would think it's easier for you to start with a photo album that is in java and modify it to your liking than try to port a php-based gallery to java.

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Hello World :-)
    • CPG 1.5.x ExperiMental website
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 03:32:24 pm »

jl_monteagudo,
I've enough experience programming with Java.
Waooouh : WowW !
All Coppermine's community is waiting for you ;D
You offer is very interrestig you know  ;D
You're starting the dev ?

PYAP

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 08:51:22 am »

A client-sided Programming language like Java offers totally different options than a server-sided scripting language as PHP, so you would code a web gallery project in a totally different way than you code PHP. I can't see how you would be "porting" Coppermine to client-sided Java. Porting the (server-sided) PHP code to jsp would theoretically be an option, but I doubt that it would be a good idea for one person to start such a huge task: Coppermine consists of 10,000s lines of code in hundreds of files - I can't see how one person could possible accomplish this. I recommend looking for a gallery script that already has been written in Java or starting a new script that mimmicks the functionality of coppermine, yet is based on vanilla code.

@Pascal: I understand that you're very enthusiastic for the coppermine project, yet a Java port would be no real benefit for the coppermine community imo, as server-sided Java (jsp) is only available for a very small number of people.

sky_HALud

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 08:44:00 am »

I found this thread by accident. I know that it is quite old, but it raises an interesting topic I'm very familiar with. Disclaimer: I founded Numiton, a company whose main product is a migration tool from PHP to Java called PtoJ. We've already done the migration of a couple of open-source PHP projects, showcased at numiton.org, so please allow me to share some insights.

A client-sided Programming language like Java offers totally different options than a server-sided scripting language as PHP, so you would code a web gallery project in a totally different way than you code PHP.

I beg to disagree, since Java is the most used on the server side. Not for open-source projects, granted, but rather for enterprise applications.

I can't see how you would be "porting" Coppermine to client-sided Java.

Doing the porting is in fact pretty straightforward. What is difficult is to optimize the code to become Java-like (think of type inference, strict variable scoping etc.). Additionally, an emulation in Java of the PHP runtime is required.

Porting the (server-sided) PHP code to jsp would theoretically be an option, but I doubt that it would be a good idea for one person to start such a huge task: Coppermine consists of 10,000s lines of code in hundreds of files - I can't see how one person could possible accomplish this.

Manual porting is a too large undertake, no matter how big the team would be. But automatically it is very much possible as I said it above.

I recommend looking for a gallery script that already has been written in Java or starting a new script that mimmicks the functionality of coppermine, yet is based on vanilla code.

@Pascal: I understand that you're very enthusiastic for the coppermine project, yet a Java port would be no real benefit for the coppermine community imo, as server-sided Java (jsp) is only available for a very small number of people.

I have yet to find a reasonably working open-source gallery project in Java. However, porting Coppermine to Java is something to be carefully examined. When you do a port you end up with a pure-Java application with the same open-source license as the original PHP application. But you lose the community gathered around the PHP application (developers, contributors, users). So unless you are committed to developing the newly ported project by yourself or can live with a frozen project, the port does not really make sense.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:54:04 am »

Thanks for your input. But I can't see the benefit of Coppermine being ported to Java. It already runs on a platform that is widely available. What would be the use of a port that runs on a platform that is not so widely available? Just because it's doable?

sky_HALud

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 09:07:12 am »

A possible reason why one would migrate Coppermine to Java would be to have the code in Java. For Java people not familiar with PHP and who already host other Java applications, it would really make sense. PHP features a different deployment model and Web container configuration than PHP. Additionally, if something goes wrong and one needs to look in the code, the ability to understand it is crucial. PHP is not harder to learn than Java, but it is considerably different.

But PHP is the easiest to deploy on shared hosts, at least for the moment, and thus I would not see a benefit of a Java based Coppermine either. So its doable, yes, but probably pointless in the case of Coppermine.

chelnov

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 01:43:38 pm »

A client-sided Programming language like Java offers totally different options than a server-sided scripting language as PHP, so you would code a web gallery project in a totally different way than you code PHP. I can't see how you would be "porting" Coppermine to client-sided Java. Porting the (server-sided) PHP code to jsp would theoretically be an option, but I doubt that it would be a good idea for one person to start such a huge task: Coppermine consists of 10,000s lines of code in hundreds of files - I can't see how one person could possible accomplish this. I recommend looking for a gallery script that already has been written in Java or starting a new script that mimmicks the functionality of coppermine, yet is based on vanilla code.

Erm... Java CLIENT-SIDE?!
What the hell!? You are supposed to be an project manager and you do not even know the difference between Java and Java-Script?
No offence..

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 06:08:35 pm »

Locking.

Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:11 am »

Erm... Java CLIENT-SIDE?!
What the hell!? You are supposed to be an project manager and you do not even know the difference between Java and Java-Script?
No offence..
Well, actually you did mean to offend imo. I know the difference pretty well between Java and JavaScript, and of course I'm aware that Java is being used on the server as well (JSP). That's basically what the thread starter suggested: porting Coppermine to server-driven Java in a first step. An actual benefit would only be achieved if you used Java on the client side to ease the server load and make the client perform all the tricky and resources-consuming calculations. However, even if I didn't know the difference between Java and JavaScript, what difference would that make? Does every project manager in the world need to know the difference between those two things? Definitely not...
Your posting is just a lame flaming attempt that shows you haven't read enough.
Anyway, the bottom line of this thread remains the same: no extra benefit, and nobody is interessted to port coppermine to Java. Your little attempt to start a flame just is lame, so the thread got locked and remains locked. If you have nothing relevant to say, then shut up.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.