Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I Change or Edit Error Message to be more descriptive?  (Read 2379 times)

Purogamer

• Coppermine newbie
Can I Change or Edit Error Message to be more descriptive?
« on: February 09, 2006, 05:28:51 pm »

I want to add an "Upload file" option to the menu for non-logged in users so they don't get confused.  High School alumni site, not everyone is the sharpest ya know...but of course when you click on this new menu button you get the default "You don't have permission to perform this operation." message.  That's fine, I'm trying to get them to login/register anyways, but can't really convey that with such a vague error message.

I want to change it to something like "You need to Login/Register before you can Upload Photos" (You know, VERY descriptive for even the dumbest of the old gang...it's ohio afterall) after they click the button if they aren't logged in, how do I do this?  I've been looking in the files for about an hour now, searching for that string of text and come up empty.  It's not template specific so i'm having a hard time pinning down where this text is.  Works fine when someone is logged in (phew), but I need a little help with the error message.

It's kind of like with the SMF forums.  If I used SMF on the site, people would never figure out how to post.  I don't mind not having to read their text, but even they can work a camera and send in goofy photos so I need this feature...

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 04:58:37 pm by TranzNDance »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Can I Change or Edit Error Message to be more descriptive?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 05:35:33 pm »

You might not have found it because the apostrophe was escaped. In the lang/english.php file, look for:
Code: [Select]
$lang_errors = array(

You can see the rest of the error messages that could be clarified. ;)

This reminds me I have my HS this year. Back then, we were all excited about going back. Now, I don't plan to go. :P

Purogamer

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Can I Change or Edit Error Message to be more descriptive?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 04:48:50 pm »

Solved, thanks a ton!!

I've been dealing with alumni for many years now.  It seems like around the 5th year out, you kinda get that itch to see people...Then it fades away a bit as you start thinking about the people you don't want to see or the bad times as the event looms closer...But if you realize that you can just walk away from people you don't like, and catch up with people and have some fun, you'll be glad you went.  It's the people who you never think about who will tell the best stories, keep that in mind. 

Look up your old classmates on myspace and see if a few of them don't surprise you by what they're doing now or what their lives have become...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.