Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail quality (link included)  (Read 2270 times)

delmarva

• Coppermine novice
Thumbnail quality (link included)
« on: May 17, 2006, 02:37:01 pm »

Hi, is there a way to improve the thumbnail quality? I have it set at 100, but they are still blurry?

www.roxenterprises.com/album

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Thumbnail quality (link included)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 03:20:03 pm »

In Stramm's mod pack, there's a thumbnail sharpening tool included afaik. The "method for resizing pics" has the biggest impact on thumbnail quality - if you only have GD1, the thumbnails will be in 256 colors only. However, you appear to have GD2 or ImageMagick, so the thumbnails look fine (in terms of color-depth). Imo, your originals don't look that good - they appear to be scanned from print with lousy resolution, moiré and artefacts (I checked the first three pics in your gallery). I suggest re-scanning them and applying tools to enhance the quality while they are on your client (i.e. before upload) - this will yield best results. You should crop them properly on your client as well before uploading them.
The quality setting that you set to 100% actually is the jpeg compression ratio - it's not recommended to change it from the default 80% unless you really know what you're doing.
After all, the ImageLibraries on your server that are used by coppermine to create intermediate image and thumbnail are just that: server-sided libraries with average performance. If you need better results, you'll have to resize on your client (i.e. create the thumbnails and intermediate pics on your client before upload). If thumbnails already exist when batch-adding, coppermine won't re-create them. This can be a time-consuming task though that only is recommended if you need high-quality pics on your site, but as I suggested above: your originals aren't that good in terms of quality, so the resulting resized images won't become much better.

delmarva

• Coppermine novice
Re: Thumbnail quality (link included)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 07:45:28 pm »

Wow, thanks for the reply. I will have to edit the pics manually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.