Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PHP Memory  (Read 2258 times)

rememberme

• Coppermine newbie
PHP Memory
« on: February 07, 2006, 12:42:36 am »

Hi, I have the latest version (as of 1st Feb) installed on my website www.sleeth.org/gallery/ My site is hosted by a company Streamline.net with unlimited bandwidth and webspace.  I am on a Linux server with GD2 (no image magick) and it has a PHP memory of 8MB.  MySQL4.

I basically want to upload a photo without having to resize it first etc but I am getting the memory exceed xxx message.  (Please read on) The photographs are roughly 800kb with resolutions maximum of 2300x1800.  Even with images in the range of 1200x I get the memory message, and in the FAQ/upload thingy it says that a picture like that takes about 5.5MB or memory.

My question is what part of the gallery it taking up the extra 2.5MB??  I want to be able to upload these photos as I've said, but I cant find any information on ways to minimise the other memory usages...?  Is there a way of doing this?  Is increasing the PHP memory the ONLY way of doing this?  Obviously I have no access to it to increase and my host says they have no plans to change it.

Thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: PHP Memory
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 07:24:20 am »

• Option 1: don't upload huge pics in the first place. Resize them on the client before uploading (see tutorials page)
  • Option 2: Create the thumbnails and intermediate files on your client (respecting the naming scheme) and then use FTP-upload plus batch-add to upload the three files. Coppermine will then not have to create the resized pics (as they already exist) and will only add the files to the database. Not pretty, and you will lose one of the main advantages of coppermine, but it will work
  • Option 3: Find a better webhost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.