Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing the Navigation??  (Read 3977 times)

rob1111

• Coppermine novice
Editing the Navigation??
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:46:00 pm »

Quick question -- How do you edit the text of the gallery navigation? Here's why:

- I'd really like to emphasize the 'Register' link at the top, as some visitors have complained that the gallery is confusing.

- I want to add text at the bottom of the register.php page, alerting people that they need to verify their e-mail address before they can log in -- once again, people complaining, and I want to make this as user-friendly as possible.

Thank you in advance for helping me with this!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 09:13:12 am by GauGau »

Blueiris

• VIP
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • Horse poor!
    • Saddlebred World Gallery
Re: Editing the Navigation??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:37:33 pm »

I can advise you better if I know how you want to emphasize the "Register" llink. All caps? Bold?

Where do you want to add the text - on the agreement page or on the "Input registration information" page?
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink - he's got to discover that it's wet for himself.

rob1111

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:48:09 pm »

Well I know that the navigation appears the same throughout the gallery, so it has to be somewhere in the code in the files.

All I want to do is the following:
- Bold and uppercase 'Register' link on gallery index page so it stands out the most (ideally, add a span tag to it so I can style it separately)
    ** could I just save the page as html so it takes the place of the 'index.php'?

- Add a disclaimer at the bottom of the register.php telling users that they will have to verify their account via e-mail before logging in

That's about it. I do have a question regarding gallery permission for guests, but I'll settle for a solution regarding the above.

Thanks so much for helping me out.

rob1111

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:59:02 pm »

OH, and I'd like to add the info to the input registration page, at the bottom (in a row just above the 'Submit' button).

Thanks playa...

Blueiris

• VIP
  • Horse poor!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 03:14:45 am »

If that's all you want to do with the "Register" link, and if you are using only one theme, and not allowing users to change themes, you can simply edit lang/english.php (or the language file your board uses). You will find the text for the Register link on line 127 in english.php.
'register_lnk' => 'Register',

you can change it to
'register_lnk' => '<b>REGISTER</b>',

You could also put span tags around it, if you'd rather do it that way. Of course, this will work only for the language you primarily use for your board. If your users are multilingual, and you allow the user to choose other languages, editing all would be pain. If that's the case, you would need to make some changes in theme.php for the theme(s) you use.

And no, you can't just save it as .html - the script won't work!

Adding text to the input registration page is going to get you into editing the code, since that page isn't customizable through themes. What you could do as an alternative is add your notice to the top of the registration agreement, perhaps in bold letters, or red text or blinking, for that matter. If you want to try that, go to lang/english.php, and look for this code (line 1476):

$lang_register_disclamer = <<<EOT
While the administrators of {SITE_NAME} will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every post. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to this site express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.<br />
<br />

You could change that to something like this:
$lang_register_disclamer = <<<EOT
<b>**NOTICE** (put what you want to say here)<b /><br />
<br />
While the administrators of {SITE_NAME} will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every post. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to this site express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.<br />
<br />

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink - he's got to discover that it's wet for himself.

rob1111

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 04:36:08 am »

You are the best!!

Your advice was on point. The 'REGISTER' link change was a breeze, but I took a bit of a risk by
inserting my 'disclaimer' text directly into the register.php page, instead of the language php file.

You can check it here: http://www.dnjnyc.com/gallery/register.php
Click the 'I Agree' button and you'll see it on the next page just under the navigation.

I found a similar opening in the register.php file with '<<<EOT' and then put the content
in a div tag so it would be its own thing. Do you think that will cause any loading errors?

So far, so good. THANK YOU again!!! PEACE.

PS: If you ever need any help in the graphic design/Flash animation area, let me know.

http://www.robtheauthor.com

Blueiris

• VIP
  • Horse poor!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 08:00:05 am »

Looks good. I doubt your fix in register.php will cause any problems.

Just to note, I had checked your other topic after I posted to help you here, and found you had gotten yourself in a bit of hot water with some of the other devs. Please keep in mind that we are all volunteers here, and there are a lot of help requests every day. If you come back again for more help,  try to have some patience. That goes a long way toward keeping PEACE!  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.