Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not support .FLV  (Read 4560 times)

emptyspaces

• Coppermine newbie
Why not support .FLV
« on: February 06, 2006, 02:52:16 am »

Found 2 posts here on .flv files.  One is a hack for an old version of cpg, the other gives instruction to download a player and let your OS handle the file.  For those of us who deal primarily in video files the download solution for all of our visitors is less than ideal.

According to vitalstream, 98% of all computers online have some type of flash player that can read .swf files (64% Windows media, 58% Real, 53% Quicktime).  We could encode all of our videos to .swf but according to Macromedia(Adobe) this isn't a good idea for non-interactive videos.  Reference the 5 page document at: http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/flv_download.html

Currently, I am offering 2 versions of every file (QT and WMV).  This kills my server storage and makes navigation atleast 1 click deeper as I seperate them into their own 'file type' sub albums.

I know the hack ( http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=16818.0 ) only had a couple of line modifications to point to a player, and I know there are many free players and programmers who would love to have their player distributed with cpg.  I'll do any leg work you need to get pieces in place.  This would put cpg ahead of many other gallery scripts, though telekorn is coming out with one this month.

Great script regardless!! Thanks for your work

Seth

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 09:39:58 am by GauGau »

Nibbler

Re: Why not support .FLV
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:03:13 am »

You can use .flv files with Coppermine 1.4 without any code modifications, search the board for details. The user must have the capability to play the files themseleves, we are not going to distribute a player with Coppermine.

emptyspaces

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:07:49 pm »

I hate to push this too much further, but is there any way that we can at least make an online flv player easier to integrate into coppermine if a user needed to do it on their own?  Some way to support custom players per file type. 

I am no programmer, but perhaps another table could be added that links filetypes to custom players by holding the location of custom players for each file type.  Thenif your dispaly script were to check to see if a custom player exists, it could launch or embed the player needed.  You probably have a better way, my only request is that you make it easier for us to incorporate custom viewers for some filetypes you don't want to support directly.

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:17:22 pm »

That already exists. You can use the filetypes plugin to select what player you want to use for each filetype.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.