Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help With Uses For Coppermine  (Read 4580 times)

inquest750

• Coppermine newbie
Need Help With Uses For Coppermine
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:56:38 am »

Hello All,

I wanted to run some questions by everyone on the forums and see what kind of feedback I can get.  I wanted to setup a system for photo hosting.  Something somewhat simple where users can make photo albums and even host images to link back to.  So my questions are;

Can Coopermine handle this sort of task?
Has anyone made a similar site using Coopermine?
Is Coopermine ready for something of this caliber or would it require extensive changes to the code??

We are a team of 2 learning php as we are going along, so our experience with it is not that of an expert, but more of an advanced beginner.  We understand concepts and basic code manipulation.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 05:09:05 pm by GauGau »

Blueiris

• VIP
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • Horse poor!
    • Saddlebred World Gallery
Re: Need Help With Uses For Coppermine
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 05:42:23 am »

Something somewhat simple where users can make photo albums . .

Indeed, this is what Coppermine is designed to do.

As far as hosting images to link back to, this is usually referred to as hotlinking. Many people running Coppermine disable hotlinking, because it uses bandwidth. However if you intend to host images for use on other sites, that wouldn't be an issue for you.

Can Coopermine handle this sort of task?

It can, yes.

Has anyone made a similar site using Coopermine?

I haven't yet, but I have something similar to what you describe in the works for my new server, which has several terabytes of bandwith.

Is Coopermine ready for something of this caliber or would it require extensive changes to the code??

What caliber are we talking about. A heavy use site? If that's what you mean, I think you should be more concerned about the caliber of your server - the amount of disk space for image storage and a large database, the amount of memory, and the bandwidth.

I can't see why you'd need to make any changes to the Coppermine code unless you wanted to add some special feature that would be unique to your site. Outside of that, you would probably only need to design a custom theme.

I'd recommend that you download cpg143 and install it on your server and give it a test drive. That's the best way to familiarize yourself with the program.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink - he's got to discover that it's wet for himself.

inquest750

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Need Help With Uses For Coppermine
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 05:00:44 pm »

Blueiris,

Thanks a million for your response.  I am looking to start small, so I am not worried about server space just yet, membership will be limited to a small group to test and build the site.  I will begin to install it and start to learn as much as I can about it.  thanks for your time!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.