Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How/why do you get negative karma?  (Read 47458 times)

bitcloud

• Coppermine frequent poster
Re: How/why do you get negative karma?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 06:30:38 am »

I guess my point is, that it's one thing for users to have negative karma on a forum, but it's an entirely different thing for an entire piece of software to have negative karma in the eyes of the public...

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 07:02:32 am »

We got the message, you had your say. Please stop the rant now.

Bacchus1

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 10:17:23 am »

I think when Karma points are given or taken the member should be told why via a PM. This would be more effective if you are trying to teach people how to use the board properly, and what sort of transgressions/good they are doing. As a teacher I have found that marks or grades are nothing if they are not justified ... people tend to prefer to believe in favoritism, or being picked on when criticism is unjustified with proof.

Additionally, it will also make sure that those who give out Karma have justifiable reasons.

Just my 2 cents. Hope I don't get any more bad Karma from this.

teenagevenus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 03:34:56 pm »

Well I've read all this - and so far as a dumb blonde CAN understand - and now having read every single posting on all threads - I have come to one single conclusion guaranteed to increase the 'LITTLE MAN IN OVERALLS's postings well above the 30,00 plus, and probablly increase his positive KARMA to 1,087, whilst dropping mine to unheard of negative depths.

Before he gets chance to delete it, here is what I figure:

Our ADMIN is a very insecure little man that boosts his ego at every opportunity by knocking every poster he can at every opportunity.

He is ruining what should be a forum in which people can give and receive help, in his efforts to instil in everyone "I AM THE BOSS. WHATEVER I SAY OR DO IS RIGHT.

THIS IS MY BOARD - IF I CAN'T HAVE MY OWN WAY AND ALWAYS BE RIGHT I WILL KICK YOU OFF.

We had kids at school like that with the "It's MY ball. If I can't win I will take it away."

GauGau - LOOK AT YOURSELF - you are pissing it up for everyone, whereas you could probably be a great help if you shed your 'Superiority' complex and Bumptious attitude and ditched your system of being JUDGE, JURY, and EXECUTIONER.

And all this because I'm a dumb blonde naive enough to think if I posted on a forum dedicated to the software I was interested in, and offered to pay for someone to help me install it, I would probably get an offer of help - instead of being 'ticked' off and told to read something I ALREADY HAD READ - but which is so full of grammatical and other errors and ambiguities that only the person dreaming it up would have much of a clue as to what it all meant.

I say that because the little man in overalls seems to almost spend his existance telling others to read what he's written.

The fact that he deems it necessary to do so in such profusion points to one of two things:

The majority of people posting on here are thick as two short planks - or just MAYBE, the various bits members are instructed by him to read, could be re-written with some modicum of clarity. (Bang goes ANOTHER 348 minus KARMA points.)

teenagevenus.

PS: if anyone would like to help with an installation my email is teenagevenus at yahoo dot co dot uk. ;) ;)

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 04:57:22 pm »

Well, that one way to earn negative karma. You've made your point. Stop ranting.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 08:16:05 pm »

but which is so full of grammatical and other errors and ambiguities that only the person dreaming it up would have much of a clue as to what it all meant.
I'm sorry that my first language is not English and therefor my writing doesn't meet your quality criteria. It must be great to be the perfect Übermensch that you appear to be.

I say that because the little man in overalls seems to almost spend his existance telling others to read what he's written.
The documentation is a community effort, as well as the rest of the software. It's not something that I have come up with. Instead of ranting you could have reviewed it and fixed what is broken.

Cheers ;D

The little man in overalls

teenagevenus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 09:37:16 pm »

Re my -
PS: if anyone would like to help with an installation my email is teenagevenus at yahoo dot co dot uk. 

I posted very sincere and nice requests asking if anyone would install 'coppermine' on a clean site for me in return for good pay.

As I obviously told a certain guy a few home truths later, my requesrts were deleted from the board.

PETTY - but expected, as my summing up of him was obviously correct and REALLY struck home.

I expect THIS will get the chop to - all because I teenage blonde wanted help and was prepared to pay for it.

Methinks he was not only told the truth, but I omitted to add he was probably a 'queer' too. (A sad disgrace to the Gay community.)

teenageveenus@yahoo.co.uk and I will pay well. Note my email quick - before the little queer in trousers deletes this too.

Thanks. (I know most of you are decent guys - but you always get ONE, don't you.)

François Keller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka Frantz
    • Ma galerie
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 07:23:45 am »

Hi,

I think we all have understant. Stop now with your "teenage blonde" childishness.
Someone seems to help you (see the paid hel board) for free. He certainly nit read your posts here  :D

P.S. Sorry for my grammaticals and others errors with my poor english  ;D
Avez vous lu la DOC ? la FAQ ? et cherché sur le forum avant de poster ?
Did you read the DOC ? the FAQ ? and search the board before posting ?
Mon Blog

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 08:33:38 am »

This thread deals with negative karma, yet you spoil it again by asking people to set up Coppermine for you (although you already have another open thread). This is what is called "cross-posting". It is not appreciated in any support forum (and board rules clearly say so), so this might be another explanation why your karma is going down. Now stop your rant, and stop insulting me. It wasn't me who deleted your thread (but some other moderator), nor was it me who restored it (although it was perfectly justified to delete your thread - it was restored for giggles). Stop blaming me for stuff that I'm not involved in. You had your shot at trolling here (a very lame effort though). Stop it now - STFU, or get banned!

teenagevenus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 12:52:39 am »

GauGau:
RE:-
This thread deals with negative karma, yet you spoil it again by asking people to set up Coppermine for you (although you already have another open thread). This is what is called "cross-posting". It is not appreciated in any support forum (and board rules clearly say so), so this might be another explanation why your karma is going down. Now stop your rant, and stop insulting me. It wasn't me who deleted your thread (but some other moderator), nor was it me who restored it (although it was perfectly justified to delete your thread - it was restored for giggles). Stop blaming me for stuff that I'm not involved in. You had your shot at trolling here (a very lame effort though). Stop it now - STFU, or get banned!
YOU were the one that told me to read what you had put. By doing so you infered I HAD NOT - Untrue  - I had.

You try to be 'sarky' (Ask an English friend if you don't know what that means), trying to take the P about my commenting on errors in your explanations, and pleading you were a 'Foreigner' to the language. Fine. I accept that (I did not knoew at the time).

The fact that I did NOT know is actually a compliment to your command of the English language. However, I must point out that in this SAME thread you SCORN another for being EXACTLY like yourself - unclear in his instructions.

In my ignorance - as you were apparently the only one littering the boards with requests to read the instructions - it seemed you actually owned it. (In fact I realise now that you choose to be the most vocal (or your companions are more tolerant and understanding - or you always beat them to the draw.

SURE I posted a request on here, but it WAS NOT a DOUBLE POSTING as you claim. In fact my original posting had been deleted. I had no idea what I had done wrong to have you chip in a tell me to read the instructions, so I virtually paraphrased ANOTHER request which had somehow managed to avoid receiving your (standard) criptic comment.

HOWEVER, THAT TOO was deleted.

Now I came here thinking it was a site dedicated to 'coppermine' in all its aspects, and that the 'HELP' forum would be the place to have someone that knew a bit about it offer to install it if I paid he or she.

I did NOT realise it was run like a Ghestapo training camp and woe betide any unwary newcomer that actually posted in hopes of meeting kindred spirits. I was unaware that like GOD him/herself, every 'newbie (or in GOD's case - 'newborn') would almost automatically recieve negative KARMA for being unable to re-translate a translation of 'rules', and so be condemned with the mark of K(ane).

I'm a persistant girl as certain physical and health problems have taught me how to NOT be ignored and spoken about as if I were a bloody idiot.

(Just try being wheeled around in a wheelchair and see what it is like. VERY few speak to me. MOST say things like "How is she? Would she like a sweet." or "Is she warm enough do you think?")

THAT's why I object to someone ordering me to read some gobbledigook I have already tried to make sense of 3-4 times.

That's why I got a bit 'shirty' when I asked for paid help, and unwittingly created the cardinal sin of not conforming EXACTLY to the unclear demands of the 'Master of the Hounds'.

I DID apologise - though what I'd done wrong I did not know - and made a request for clarity which I did not get. Just another 'ticking off' from another 'Oberlietenant' (I apologise for the spelling but I guess my meaning is clear.

As for the OTHER MODERATOR who restored my thread "FOR GIGGLES" - I think that more or less says it all doesn't it??????

HOWEVER, if my postings are of such amusement and sport to Moderators, then STOP BEING SO STUPID and COMPLAINING about them.

EITHER I was wrong to ask for paid help in the "PAID HELP" forum and it deserved deleting or it did NOT.

TO MOAN ABOUT MY POSTINGS AND DELETE THEM AND REINSTATE THEM TO HAVE A GIGGLE MAY SEEM GREAT TO MODERATORS.

Methinks that the average gal or guy visiting will wonder - as did I - "What the hell sort of management have they on here? Is it a forum for "coppermine users" or a spot to take the P out of every newcomer by complaining about them, dishing them out NEGATIVE KARMA, deleteing postings then reinstating them for 'laughs', and accusing them of being 'insulting', when all they did was EXACTLY what the accuser did to someone far more deserving of respect.

Now back to how this all started, GauGau - and hopefully YOU and at least ONE other 'Moderator' (I use the term in its loosest form) - will maybe have learned something.

YOU WANT RESPECT - Then don't treat others as idiots, or IMEDIATELY condemn them for making what YOU consider is some big crime of not conforming to very unclear instructions. (If they are NOT unclear, then WHY do so many newcomers trip up when trying to follow them?)

Get rid of your ill thought out KARMA and do what any NORMAL SENSIBLE webmaster does: Set out basic rules and if anyone accidently breaks one, then inform them, explain the 'crime' and warn them. Or if they BLATANTLY set out to break the rules then ban them.

Cut out the ill-feeling even the thickest of you must see your virtually automatic dishing out of NEGATIVE KARMA causes.

Consentrate on letting the forums run themselves, and Moderators just chip in when NECESSARY to give a guiding comment - or come down hard on someone DELIBERATELY flaunting the rules.

If you just want an exclusive board for techno geeks that can give each other bountiful helpings of KARMA then make it plain to anyone seeking assistance that they are NOT WELCOME: That this board/forum/site is not here to offer either a friendly hand or paid help to any non-technical, un-fully-computor-literate peasant. It is here for the sport, pleasure, 'you-scratch-my-back-and-give-me-KARMA-and-I'll-scratch-yours exclusive 'coppermine fraternity upper echelon.

And if any of you guys are more interested in 'coppermine' and promoting it, improving it, and guiding others towards doing the same - instead of rattling like empty cans at every opportunity to knock anyone less knowledgeable, or that you deem to have less KARMA or whatever, I'm quite happy to provide and host a BB for you where you can go about your business, and also get paid for helping other 'wouldbe 'coppermine' enthusiasts to use and promote it.

That is the end of my sermon which I FEEL FULLY JUSTIFIED IN GIVING, having been 'bullied', lied about, wrongly accused, and used as a butt for MODERATOR GIGGLES.

You aught to be bloody ashamed of yourselves.

One other point: I not only own three ARTICLE DISTRIBUTION SITES, but syndicate many articles to all the other major providers of articles for bloggs, webmasters, newsletters, magazines, and news syndicates, RSS feeds, etc.  And have a further 32 sites (all with minimum of PR4) on which I post for an average of slightly more visitors a day on each than you get here in a month) I just checked one at random and the visitor count for that one is showing:
Updated Daily    Visitors since 01/04/05 -  1,916,577 That is about average for over 30 sites.

The point I'm making is that just a modicum of tolerance, common sense, and maybe a touch of human kindness can win you freinds and REAL KARMA.

Behaving more in the manner of an SS Officer toward his recruits will get you ABSOLUTELY F*** A** - except some REALLY BAD PUBLICITY for yourself, the other "Moderators" and worst of all - COPPERMINE as being in any form a viable alternative to the many other free and licenced scripts available - if only because the average Jean or Joe's chance of getting other than insulted when seeking assistance is pretty remote.

I have copied ALL the relevent Qs and As - and have a full count of the "Read the bloody instructions" posting to innocent aid seekers, plus assorted comments on here about KARMA, and some other interesting bits from around.

Should it be necessary that will make one hell of an argument in favour of wouldbe photo software or whatever purchasers/users steering well clear of 'coppermine' in favour of at least one equal - or better - free alternative with HELPFUL support forums.

(Obviously "REECE" is not included as being 'tared with the same brush'.)

You started your ill-thought-out and pompous reply by stating:

This thread deals with negative karma, yet you spoil it again

I DID NOT SPOIL IT AGAIN - it was my FIRST posting on it - and only because my other two had been deleted.

You say it deals with 'negative karma' - WELL BELIEVE ME, Gau Gau, this WHOLE THING is negative karma - so don't start whining again and accusing.

I told you once before you should step back and have a look at yourself and your actions and attitude. That was good advice, GauGau. DO NOT ACCUSE, LIE, DEMAND PERSONS DO WHAT THEY HAVE ALREADY DONE.

STOP. THINK. What are you HERE for?????????? Behave like the obviously intelligent person you are - not like a little Hitler.

We obviously have a problem because we are of different origins. Just as The Americans can't understand the Arabs - and vice versa, but your history and two world wars should have taught you SOMETHING!!!!!!

I'm going to sleep now, however, I'm sure many of you will spend a while having a good giggle at my expense . (OR just MAYBE not at mine but GauGua and a certain "Moderator"s.)

Peace and love GauGau - (Because you never win wars), and probably fairwell.

teenagevenus.

PS: Don't accuse me of having had my shot at 'trolling' either, little man. Who would dream of trolling HERE in competition with your efforts at denigrating every single newcomer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nibbler

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 01:11:52 am »

Look, all you are doing here is embarrassing yourself. I restored your thread because it should have not have been deleted. I did not restore it for 'giggles'. It was and still is a serious request for help. I am English and I understand your post completely. What I do not understand is why you choose to insult people who would be perfectly willing to help you if you treated them with respect. Hurling Nazi related insults at a German team member will not earn you any respect or any friends here. If you want people to be nice to you because you are offering money then you should be using commercial software. I hope you will regret making this post in the morning.

Tarique Sani

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • http://tariquesani.net
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 06:02:17 am »

Don't accuse me of having had my shot at 'trolling' either, little man. Who would dream of trolling HERE in competition with your efforts at denigrating every single newcomer!!!!!!!!!!!!

teenagevenus I rarely comment here these days but could not stop myself in the face of your vitriolic, racist and outright abusive post. Stop it, apologize to Gaugau for your post else for sake of civility I will have to ban you.

P.S. Notice that I have a karma of -1000
SANIsoft PHP applications for E Biz

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 06:41:55 am »

Events that took place -

• teenagevenus puts up a request for a paid job on freelancers board
  • GauGau posts a link to sub-board rules thread. (how can this offend someone is beyond my understanding)
  • teenagaevenus replies to GauGau's post with an insult
  • One of the moderator sees this and deletes the thread.
  • teenagevenus gets angry and posts in this thread with even bigger insulting message.
  • Her original post is restored (Note that GauGau is still calm and haven't posted any insulting message against teenagevenus)
  • Now GauGau replies to teenagevenus for the first time with a nice message
  • teenagevenus doesn't stops and keeps posting dreadful messages

In this whole episode i didn't saw GauGau insulting teenagevenus or saying any bad words against her nor is he dictating her. He calmly told her to read the rules thread which every forum administrator tells to a newcomer so that the newcomer knows how to construct their posts for a better and faster response. GauGau tried to help her so that she receives responses for her job request faster.

This reminds me of a good old Hindi saying "Naiki kar darya mein daal", which means "If you do something good for others, they will throw your good deed in sea".
Chief Geek at Ranium Systems

teenagevenus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 04:15:29 pm »

"In this whole episode i didn't saw GauGau insulting teenagevenus or saying any bad words against her nor is he dictating her. He calmly told her to read the rules thread which every forum administrator tells to a newcomer so that the newcomer knows how to construct their posts for a better and faster response. GauGau tried to help her so that she receives responses for her job request faster.
This reminds me of a good old Hindi saying "Naiki kar darya mein daal", which means "If you do something good for others, they will throw your good deed in sea". "

Perhaps you and the others should READ what he did or did not do and say:

Instead of a polite spot of guidance or help to a 'newbie'  he posted his 'standard' criptic comment  in effect saying R.T.B.I. In effect accusing me of not having done so - a GREAT WELCOME. He also accused me of YET AGAIN F***ing up his (presumably) pet thread on KARMA - a downright lie.

He accused me of DOUBLE POSTING - another untruth.

He accused me of trolling - another insult and lie.

If you actually CHECK - he did more than that (INCLUDING STATING MY POST WAS REINSTATED FOR MODS TO HAVE A GIGGLE.)

I accept the explanation of the Moderator who explained WHY he reinstated it. NOT for GIGGLES - as GauGau accused him of - but because it should not have been deleted in the first place.

I ALSO apologise sincerely to him and the other moderators because I was stupid enough to BELIEVE GauGau - and consequently think bad of them.

Prolonging this is futile, however I did feel I had the right to reply to untrue allegations of double-posting, and of trolling, and of YET AGAIN messing up a thread which was another downright lie. AND to give my opinion on "MODERATORS" who re-installed postings for giggles.

Okay, I'm KARMA (Calmer) now, and accept I was more than a little out of line in some of the responses I made to his lies and accusations - and reacting to the fact that he badmouthed the guy whose KARMA crap he'd modified, because of HIS lack of command of the language - yet vilified ME for doing no more than the same to him.

I'm certainly no saint - and consciously guilty of over-reacting. Perhaps if GauGau re-thinks his approach to prospective new users - and refrains from his accusations and lies - and instead is just a little less abrupt in his posting of his standard response, and maybe offers help or explanation he will be less likely to cause totally unnecessary ill-feeling and bad "KARMA" between him and others.

Incidentally, I did not know he was GERMAN. Any 'insults' I made were not intended to be racist. It just happens that in MY part of the world people that behave like him with their petty "JOBSWORTH" rules interpretation, 'little empires' and semingly arrogant attitudes are known as "LITTLE HITLERS", and the Ghestapo is quoted in the same way - be it to POLE, YANK, POMMIE, or AUSSIE. or BRIT.

In dashing to his defense and denouncing me you obviously missed the fact that the blame in this little altercation rests NOT SOLELY on my shoulders, Whatever I was accused of does not alter the fact that HE did lie about me on more than one count. That he DID accuse me of something he had done himself in this very same thread, and that he blatantly lied about a fellow Moderator to try to score petty points off me.

I will make just two further points:

A gentleman (REECE) has done a wonderful and fast job for me - I will note that on the other thread (if I'm able.)

The other point is that if ANY ORDINARY PERSON on here had made the same statements, lies, and accusations to a Moderator or other 'dignity' on here as GauGau did did to me - HIS KARMA would fall through the floor.

Thank you.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2007, 11:02:17 am »

Enough now. Thread locked.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.