Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tip: Own server: Execution time  (Read 3718 times)

John

• Coppermine regular visitor
Tip: Own server: Execution time
« on: October 20, 2003, 12:23:17 am »

PHP with gd can be slow. Some servers might stop, telling you the maximum time of script execution has been not enough. You can change this in your php.ini.

max_execution_time = 320 ; (Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds)

Just thought i would make a note (for search purposes.) of this as it can be an easy thing to overlook.

John

*Realise this isnt the 'php' help forum or anything, but its an important thing to use sometimes, esp. if/when resample() func. is used.

pcfreak

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 11:27:55 pm »

this is not a good idee ! site visitors don't wait 5 minutes.

If its realy slow, search for a new host, but don't change the settings in php.ini

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 11:35:56 pm »

pcfreak, you're absolutely wrong: GD's speed is only relevant for coppermine when uploading/batch-adding images. Users/visitors are of course not affected by the speed of GD, as the intermediate sized images and thumbs have already been created on upload, so they're simply viewing existing files => no gd => no time issues.

John is perfectly right, although I'd like to add that only those who run their own server can edit max_execution_time. Those who are with a webhost (probably the majority of users) can not edit/change this setting (and there's little use contacting your webhost on this issue - they probably have their reasons why they set it the way it is).

GauGau

pcfreak

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 09:25:24 pm »

Quote from: "gaugau"
pcfreak, you're absolutely wrong: GD's speed is only relevant for coppermine when uploading/batch-adding images. Users/visitors are of course not affected by the speed of GD, as the intermediate sized images and thumbs have already been created on upload, so they're simply viewing existing files => no gd => no time issues.

John is perfectly right, although I'd like to add that only those who run their own server can edit max_execution_time. Those who are with a webhost (probably the majority of users) can not edit/change this setting (and there's little use contacting your webhost on this issue - they probably have their reasons why they set it the way it is).

GauGau

Im not agree  GauGau, my album have a lot of members who uploading there pictures self. and complaining about the long waiting time when they are upload pictures. This is a everyday process. What is realy going wrong when the execution time is high (long) , the other online visitors have also slowly browsing the site.

I have decided to set the time sort, about 20 seconds. and when the picture isn't uploaded in 20 seconds, then bad luck. I have the simple hint to resize the picture before uploading.

Users/visitors are of course not affected by the speed of GD, as the intermediate sized images and thumbs have already been created on upload, so they're simply viewing existing files => no gd => no time issues.

Thats is the good thing and the power of coppermine  :wink: , other scripts generate the thumbs "on the fly" when browsing  :?

Adm.Spock

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 09:04:21 pm »

Let's just say that the ideal execution time varies per server and moreover: in wich context coppermine is used.

I'm going to set the execution time quite high on my server too, I want my users to be able to upload quite large photo's, as I don't want to compromise on quality 8)

Thanks for the tip!

mxg

• Coppermine newbie
    • http://www.geodetech.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 01:02:30 am »

Bear in mind that increasing the execution time doesn't affect script performance, it's merely a cut off point that PHP uses to stop scripts which are taking too long.
Only if you have some kind of very bad loop will it affect any other pages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.