Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Individual Picture Permissions  (Read 3966 times)

djSurge

• Coppermine newbie
    • SURGE
Individual Picture Permissions
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:43:48 pm »

I don't know if this is a feature request or a question, but here it goes.

I want to be able to set permissions for an individual image.

For example I have an album (album) with pictures (p1, p2, p3, p4).

album's permissions are set so everyone can view what's inside
p1,p2,p3 are set that everyone can view them
p4 is set so only certain group(s) can view them

Is that feasable?
I searched around the forum and couldn't find any discussion on this issue.

I have some php, mysql experience so depending on how involved this is I would be willing to tackle it myself.

So:

Question 1: Is this doable and I'm just missing something huge?
Question 2: If it is not, how complex of a feature mod would it be?

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
Re: Individual Picture Permissions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 02:18:53 am »

That's a feature request; it's not possible currently.  Others have asked for such a thing, and the next incarnation of the permissions system may include more granular settings but that's just speculation right now.

You're welcome to work on such a mod but be warned that it's usually the infrastructure that bogs people down.  In other words, if you want to statically set a few pictures here & there, that's easy, but setting up ways of setting which ones, in all the appropriate & convenient places and having those settings in effect for all the appropriate display pages & organizing such permissions in a logical way, etc. requires care, time, patience, and ingenuity.

Also, major mods to the core scripts are fairly difficult to explain easily.  (Look through the mods forum for examples.)  Plugins are preferred for many reasons but more restrictive in what can be done and where such things can be done.  (See the plugins board for examples.)

I'm not trying to dissuade you - just want to lay things out a bit so you have a "big picture" at the beginning, before you dive in and start learning the system.

djSurge

• Coppermine newbie
    • SURGE
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 02:37:26 am »

Understood

Yeah, I would imagine the permission system is pretty tightly integrated and I wouldn't want to just do a hack around it, because it would be a waste of time. In the grand scheme of coppermine updating/upgrading do you see this comming any time soon?

I'll look through the forums and try to get a feel for the current permissions system, and hey... maybe even try a proper implementation.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 02:44:07 am »

Search & browse around (the feature requests board is a good place to start) - get a feel for things.  The simple answer is "there's no plan yet for the next permissions system".  An ETA is useless until there's a plan.  There are a number of threads discussing users' requests.  I myself am mulling over what would be required to do such an overhaul.

A good way to get started learning the Coppermine code is to start with little mods you want and start implementing them.  The plugins system is the best way to add a mod, so please investigate the various plugins as well to understand how that works.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:46:44 pm »

moved to "feature requests"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.