Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why integrate with a bulletin board?  (Read 6014 times)

Foxy Mop

• Coppermine newbie
Why integrate with a bulletin board?
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:07:56 am »

I've installed Coppermine and was wondering what the benefit of integrating phpBB (or any other BB in general) into Coppermine?

Thanks for your thoughts..

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Why integrate with a bulletin board?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 03:10:42 am »

Are you using a bulletin board? You need to provide more background info for people to give you relevant advice.

As for me, I bridged my Coppermine with SMF because there was a mod that I wanted to use, but I don't really use the forums much.

Foxy Mop

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 04:33:47 am »

Are you using a bulletin board? You need to provide more background info for people to give you relevant advice.

As for me, I bridged my Coppermine with SMF because there was a mod that I wanted to use, but I don't really use the forums much.

My web site goal for this project is to create an image archive for a band.

I installed phpBB and Coppermine and the two share the login/registration process. I know how a bulletin board works, and am learning how Coppermine works - but what is the benefit of integrating the two together (outside of the login process, which I really don't need since no one is using the BB).

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 05:28:31 am »

The main benefit is the user management integration. The side benefit was something like I mentioned.

If you don't need the login process nor any other feature of the phpbb, there's no point in you bridging. But if you already have bridged, you can't really go back since the user info is contained in phpbb and not in cpg.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 09:54:34 am »

the main purpose of bridging is increasing the user's experience: if you bridge, users will have a single sign-on on your page that is valid both for your gallery and your forum. They don't have to go through registration twice (for the different apps). If you don't plan on implementing community-related stuff in coppermine (like user uploads, comments only for registered users and so on), there's no need to bridge. However, it won't hurt to bridge neither, so if you decide later that you want community-stuff in coppermine, you already have everything you need ready.

Foxy Mop

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 02:44:18 am »

Can users still have their own 'galleries' if the BB and Coppermine are bridged?

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 03:03:19 am »

Yes.

Foxy Mop

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 07:05:11 pm »

Thanks so much TND!

Two more questions and I think I'll be satisfied:

1. Will Coppermine share phpBB's theme if they are bridged? (phpBB is using fiblack, and I would like that to happen!)

2. If briged, will the users I turn into moderators then be able to edit Coppermine photo names, change photo albums, etc. (everything but creating/editing/deleting catagories & albums and higher administrative tasks)?

Again, thanks so much!

LT

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 04:26:02 pm »

no and no
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.