Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uploading into Group directories  (Read 3173 times)

Preludian

• Coppermine newbie
Uploading into Group directories
« on: January 16, 2006, 01:34:06 am »

Hi,

is it possible to have group members uploading into a defined directory like its possible with batch-upload? It's not necessary that they use batch-upload, but whenever they make an image upload, that the files  are not copied into the userpics directory but in a directory I have defined and created before. I hope I made myself clear enough :)
Or if this isn't possible, is there a plugin that enables it to easily move the file into a new directory and automatically updates the database?

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 08:19:11 pm by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Uploading into Group directories
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:17:20 am »

not possible, and not needed imo, as the database keeps track of a file's location, the user doesn't have to.

Preludian

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 12:40:15 pm »

yes but it would be helpful in terms of organizing the files. /userpics/10001 is not so easy as /customerpics for example. If I as admin am able to upload files in a chosen directory when using batch-upload( and even must upload them into another directory as userpics/...) I have the files scattered around. What I have now is a directory for every customer, with eventually some subdirectories. But as the customers are also allowed to upload their images ( architects btw for 3d) they upload them into the userpics directories. It would simply be clearer organized. Even a solution , where I could define a userpic subdriectory (10001) into my customer directory would be nice. Just to keep all my customer images boundled.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 02:17:49 pm »

OK, I understand what you're saying, but I still can't see the point: you don't have to organize anything on file/folder level - that's what coppermine is meant to be used for; coppermine keeps track of the file location, so the user doesn't have to. When clicking on a user's gallery, a nice list of thumbnails is being shown, which links to the user's file.
It seems that you're using coppermine for something the software was never meant to be used for. This is of course fine and you're wlecome to use it for whatever you can think of, yet we (the coppermine dev team) won't code stuff for what is "exotic usage" in our impression and will only be used by a minority of users. One of the main advantages of coppermine is that it can create intermediates and thumbs for pics - if you use it mainly for storing non-pic files, there might be better solutions for you.
We don't believe in moving files around, as this is bound to cause issues (think of the myriads of servers that are improperly configured in terms of files/folder permissions and ownership). To go out of harms way, once a pic exists somewhere and works as expected it shouldn't be moved around anymore.

Preludian

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 03:24:44 pm »

Well it's really only about pictures, nothing else, scans, 3d images, but I understand your pov too. Maybe it's only me wanting to much ordering. It's also because I have to link images into my cms and having them all in one place makes browsing easier in the joomla editor. There are so many admion tools for special cases, that I thought a move tool or a db update would be nice, only for the admin of course. Come to think of it, whilst testing cpg I have already moved the images from one direcxtory to another until I was happy and understood the basic concept. It shouldn't be too difficult to set up a simple script to change the directorylink. Of course it would be foolproofer if a mysql/php guru would have already coded it ;)
But thanks anyway. I'll try digging deeper into mysql ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.